Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Just because an ELL student can communicate with friends it does not mean that they fully understand classroom communication.The most successful ELL students have instructors who provide a great deal of guidance

Help student to celebrate diversity.  Encourage students to take risk to lean new english words

Learn how to plan lessons that support English learners' language development, build background knowledge, and give students opportunities to access grade-level content.

If we take into consideration, that some of our students are as out of place in our country as a blender in the bathroom, well it's about making them feel accepted. The more comfortable they are the more they will achieve. If we only teach in English and they can't understand a word, we are failing them by not helping them to learn the language.

It is important to be patient with ELL learners.

This made me think of a straight A student I had who quit school to return to their home country.

They were so gifted and due to the language barrier I became their lab partner.

I had another student from the Congo who was so smart but really struggling.

Again I became her lab partner because I could speak French.

I absolutely have to learn Spanish to help more students.

Accomplishing effective communication of course objectives is the job of the instructor, and strategies should be employed to reach all students.

The learning environment is extremely important in a student's learning process. Students will learn better when a friendly, non-threatening environment is upheld. 

In this section of the class, I learned that it can take years before students are fully able to transfer a new language and be able to fully comprehend it. The teacher can help their ELL students be successful by embedding comprehension strategies into what they are learning, make sure that they are teaching vocabulary, allow students to work with their peers, and finally make sure to hold high expectations.

Sign In to comment