Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Experiential Learning for Gen Yers

Why do Generation Y learners value experiential learning?

because it allows them think less without all the work that comes with it . It also enables them to be more private in some areas but not in other's. This also make other's lazy because there know effort put toward;s it.

I think it is a great way to learn. We need to try new ways different approaches.

Most generation Y students tend to avoid reading manuals or dcocuments pertaining to the structured use of technology, in this case digital cameras. The complexity and multitude of functions of these professional cameras requires practical demonstrations, followed by each individual's application of a particular technique. By following this with small group practices that result in images than can then be critiqued as a whole group, the students feel engaged, communicate with each others and often have a sense of competitivness amongst each other. It is not uncommon for the students to upload their particular photographic results with a mobile device during the class, reinforcing their desire to be constantly connected, and feel that a learning value has been achieved there and then. Generation Y has a very short attention span and need to be constantly engaged.

Like the proverb that ended the last segment said "I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand."
There's a great deal of disconnect that comes with technology, a lot of taking information for granted and not digging below the surface. But experiential learning really allows students to engage with the subject matter on a personal level and it's that personalized approach that really appeals to Gen Y students.

They seem to have shorter attention spans and therefore are able to focus more and pay attention when the subject matter is shown to make sense.

They are accustomed to getting all information quickly and therefore have a short attention span to theory without a practical connection.

This is a very tacile group and the hands on use of the current technology appeals to them.

Gen Y's want to get info quickly -- therefore reading and studying is too slow or "boring" for them. Info has been fed to them in entertaining ways since they began watching Sesame Street so the old fashioned way of reading and memorizing is not for them.

As valuable as the 'get started quick' manual that comes with other products.

As duly noted, Gen Yers have ready access to endless information; Unfortunately, between the information overload and weak discerning ability these students can easily find themselves overwhelmed.
Even through peer discussion they may speculate with mixed results, but, hearing from someone with practical experience immediately offers relevancy and enables them to focus and decipher information more effectively.

Experiential learning appeals to their need for participation through opinion and first person testimony. Gen Yers want to know, for themselves, and hands on learning offers that to them.

They seem to be "impatient" and dont have time to think about doing something right the first time or reading the instructions. They are used to trial and error..if they dont get something right the first time, they can just do it again until eventually they get it right.

The problem is, this is not how it works in the real world. In a career, employees are expected to get it right the FIRST time!

I have a seen alot of students need to show you what they are capiable of with technology instead of me showing them what technology is capiable of.

Jessie,
I've seen this too & have had to redirect them to the uses.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree completely, I've had situations where the class needed to accelerate because of missed days, and the course content needed to be covered more quickly than usual. My students surprised me by not only getting the work done on time, but did a better job at it than usual. Test scores were higher and the demeanor in the classroom was better. They actually wanted the push to do more and show what they could do. This won't happen every time with every student I see, but the majority of them will actually fit this thought.

Phillip,
yes this generation seems to be prone more toward the fast-paced learning environment.

Dr. Ryan Meers

There are some that believe that Gen Yers are the way they are because of Sesame Street - they learned with fun, and blips. I can see this in the students that I have now, they want the "experience" of learning, to be engaged - and frankly so do I when I learn and I am a Baby Boomer. Lots that describe the Gen Yers seems to be a result of that challenge of authority that went on with the Baby Boomers. The only difference is that I do depth, depth and more depth in investigation and research. But I can see what is happening, I don't "read" the newspaper anymore, I get my news in sound blips and predigested. Too much effort to read.

Experiential learning is engaging for the student and caters to the person's needs and wants by being involved in direct experience. Geny requires or wants lots of interaction with peers and teachers and feels comfortable in structured group work and collaborative efforts. They prefer to learn by doing rather than reading textbooks or directions.
Oroviding simulated experiences or opportunities to work on projects in a group suits the gen y better than traditional lectures and extensive reading.

Most of their world is hand- ons and this tends to keep gen yers engaged. Its a seamless transition from personal life to the classroom.

Sign In to comment