Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation X as teacher

I am from Generation X and am now a teacher. Growing up I was the 'latch-key' kid, schooled in an 'open classroom' and many of the other educational styles of the 1970s.
I have taught for the past 20 years and seen several generatons since me.
It is interesting that the 'millennial' generation really does seem to be different in many ways. Here, I'll focus on expectations. The idea that everyone wins, everyone gets a trophy, everyone is 'great' and can do anything has really become part of their mind set. I don't know how many times in recent years I have heard that "I should get an A, I worked really hard on that assignment" and there seems to be no awareness that sometimes just working hard doesn't produce quality, etc. This is just one of many issues that has surfaced that frankly I find difficult to address. I've often not addressed it. I give the grade that the student earned and hope that the student learns and grows. Just one of many interesting generational issues.

Ian,
great point & yes, that statement is very characteristic of this generation. I like to go back to the course requirements if possible & talk with them about those. I tell them I applaud hard work, but as you said, it still has to be quality.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think you brought up a great point about the attitude of Gen Y students regarding their accomplishments. Many of the Gen Yers seem to believe that turning in all your work should somehow guaranty an A grade simply because they did it. They seem to have little grasp of the reality that quality of their work is as important, if not more important than simply getting it done. Our final lab exam is basically a series of pass/fail tests, and while almost every student remembers enough to go through the motions of performing the tasks, when they diagnosing an electrical system and come to the wrong conclusion, it is difficult for them to accept that it doesn't matter how many tests you finish, if you were not able to use that test to reach the correct diagnosis, they fail that part. I find myself having to explain to them why it's important to not only do the work, but understand it well enough to use their skills to repair a car. That is of course, their final goal. Life isn't an assembly line; using critical thinking and skills learned to diagnose problems is something they have to develop, not just "DO the work."

This is where now that a student has done the work they now must be able to apply it. Now that they know the material how can it be used? So that now they are able to put their work to work.

I am also a Gen X and a teacher. While I feel I have been very open in my teaching style, I agree with you totally. I had a student tell me in front of the class "you took away my A", I replied "how did I do that"? She was embarrased by her fellow students when she said the test was to hard. I did talk with her further and we went over the contract I had set up with that class. At the end, she acknowleged that perhaps she was the one who "lost her A".

I, too, am a Gen X teacher. I see this "entitled" behavior from students of all ages! I am starting to think it's not about the generation one is born but the times we currently live in as the nation has somehow managed to foster this character flaw that is "no accountability". The students are paying for a grade, not an education, and on top of that feel no guilt in calling the President of CEC himself if they've gotten their feelings hurt. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy teaching but the 1 student in every 24 that is like this can really bum me out.

Lisa,
you are right, this is a systemic problem that is probably more highlighted in this generation. I feel your pain, just remember the other 23!

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also notice this trend. I strive hard to be able to justify every grade I give. The expectation is to be often times challenged as to why they didn't get the grade they felt "they deserved". It's easier if you have a clear justification worked out ahead of time. I find myself asking students who feel entitled to a grade "If you were a customer paying for this, would you be happy with it?"

It's interesting how to manage all the different generations present as my classroom has multiple generations at any one time. It was helpful to know their characteristics so I can customize my teaching style.

Nick ,
this is where I find being very clear, at least as much as possible, at the beginning of a course regarding grading is helpful. Hopefully by explaining how grades are determined they know what to do to get the grade they want.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a GEN X teaching military students of both groups X&Y. I see the X wanting to earn their grades while some of the Y think they are entitled to get an A with putting forth the same effort as the X.

Eon,
this does seem to be a more common trend & it is unfortunate. I've found that if I help my Y students see this as a problem, they often will work hard. Often they simply haven't been made to in their lives.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I completely agree! I find myself, even as a generation Y-er, having a hard time getting through to my students, "Yes, you did the work. But no, I'm not giving you an A because...". I always have to justify the grade I'm giving them just because they feel they are "entitled" to an A, they don't like to accept anything less. Which is why, every time I have a test where they have to show their skills, I give them the rubric before hand. One, so they can practice, and two, when they get their grade at the end of the test they know what they need to work on, and No, an A would not have been a fair grade for their performance.

Lacey,
I think it does become very important to give those very clear expectations & guidelines for what constitutes an A, B, etc.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am also a Gen-X instructor, teaching at a school where we have students from all generations. I agree that most Gen-Ys feel that they deserve the grade for just completing the work, (they ask for points on every practice sheet, exercise, etc.) They tend to focus on immediate results, and do not realize that with every practice worksheet, they are mastering the material to achieve an "A" on the exam. Also, in order for them to see that quality does count, I tend to grade projects with rubrics, that way they can see what is necessary to complete/include in order to achieve the 80%, 90%, etc. Using rubrics, the students then realize specifically what they need to accomplish.

Hi Karen:

I too am a Generation X and a teacher. While I do think I use a variety of teaching methods, often I have found students in Generation Y they expect that if they show up to class that they will get an A. Have you come across this? I too have also had students say, "You took away my A" or "You ruined my GPA." There seems to be a lack of ownership with some of these students in this generation.

Mary,
this is definitely a challenge with this younger generation. I believe that too often everyone has been a "winner" & so there is an expectation that all will get an "A."

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Great ideas, I am between a baby boomer and Gen X, my son is a Gen Y, so I understand their method.

Ruth,
you are in a great position to really understand a variety of the generations.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I really thing that we as a society are doing great harm with this whole attitude of everyone wins and there are no losers. Not winning (on in this case, not getting an A) is a life lesson that everyone needs to learn. That is how you grow as an individual, by learning from your failures. What incentive is there to excel when at the end of the day you know everyone will get a trophy, or an A just for making an effort. I coach youth baseball and find it crazy how the rules have changed from when I played, simply because we do not want to upset the kids. Failing is part of life, and by sugar coating failures, we are doing a great disservice.

Sign In to comment