Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology and Generation Y Learners

From your perspective, how has technology impacted the learning process of Gen Y students?

While Gen Y is characterized by their interest in connectivity (making connections), my gen y students surprise me with their lack of interest in the "why" of what they are doing. I wonder if this has to do with technology - the fact that you can achieve many activities without having to understand the "why" behind them. For example, I am typing on this forum without having to understand how it is possible for me to do so. My students are learning to cook, where the "why" is essential, and their unwillingness or inability to think that way is a great challenge to their success in the kitchen.

The Gen Y students in my class tend to rely on the internet to get short easy answers to questions. However, they do not get the whole picture or process of the subject that I am teaching. For example they can look up a word such as "ventilation" and can give me verbatim the definition, however, when asked how it relates to the lungs and respiratory system they are at a loss. To have them explain a process would require them to actually read a text from an book. They are more used to a short article in the internet which can come from unreliable sources.

I have run into similar issues with my Surround Sound Techniques class. The book is written by one of the original creators of the multichannel media and a big part of the course and lecture is based on this material. Just the other week, a student had a question about a quiz grade, citing an audio forum definition to back up her answer while the correct definition was on page 1 of the text book. I commended her on her diligence, but had to warn her about the unreliability of forums and sites like Wikipedia.

I teach Music Theory and I find that a number of my students try to find answers to questions on the internet instead of just looking in their textbooks, but they also don't take the time to see if the website they are referencing is legitimate or correct. They go to the first site they see and go with that site. They haven't learn or don't want to take the time to discern the information they see. Even when told to check 3 or more sources, they don't want to be bothered.

I find that most of them can't stay off the internet when I am lecturing even for the shortest time period. They constantly have to check their Facebook page and get upset if I tell them to turn their phones off during lectures. They find it perfectly acceptable to continuously get up and walk out of the classroom as they talk on the phone in the middle of class disrupting class.

I feel that technology has impacted Gen Y students such that, while information is instantly available, it's often not retained as well because of the lack of effort it takes to get it. Further, I believe that Gen-Y students are able to multi-task much better because they've grown up with new technology, and "gadgets." For example, a Baby Boomer would probably have a difficult time talking on the phone, while chatting online, watching tv, and answering an email at the same time, while it would be nothing unusual for a Gen Y student.

I have found that they have an issue with immediacy. When given an assignment, if they can't Google the info in 10 seconds they complain that they "can't find any information" and get frustrated and disengage. It's hard to get them to be patient! I also have to assign them to use books, actual books made of PAPER, as part of their grade or they won't step foot into the library and just assume everything they find online is a reliable source.
There's definitely a sense of "If I can't find the data right away, it isn't worth knowing"!

Because of the easy and familiarity of technology students find research and knowledge accessable. However, the basis of fact checking and accuracy tends to suffer.

Emphasis is placed on social interaction through phones and other devices, so a strong sense of community is created using technology. This can be a source of strength, but can also lead to a dissconnect with fellow students and instructors within the classroom.

Generation Y learners are quicker to try and find an answer themselves either by using the internet on the computer in front of them or google on their smartphones. They seem to have less patience and a need for the information to relate to the real world in a way that they can make sense of.

Theory and long lectures seem to not stick in the minds of my Gen-Y students. They seem to need hands on learning with lots of real world examples and stories.

Technology impacted the learning process in Gen Y students in both positive and negative ways. The pros of learning with technology in Gen Y Learners is information is readily available for students that are Gen Y, immediate access to information presents the opportunity for them to learn as much as they choose. The Cons of technology in Gen Y Learners is technology does not always provide the hands on experience that is necessary for certain subjects. Also many students develope communication issues. They become highly anti-social and do not like nor learn the concept of teamwork... There are pros and cons to everything I guess.

My Gen Y students tend to seek and rely on information that tends to be be based more on perception than actual information. My theory is that because there are so many channels and sources of information, and there being NO definitive source of verification or "correctness", the Gen Y'rs look at the world as being a place of never ending shades of gray.

I might say "the sky is blue" and they might reply "that's your opinion."

Thoughts?

For the most part, they are amazing multi-taskers; that being said, many important details area sometimes lost in completing a series of tasks at one time. Many instructors are frustrated because a good portion of the important concepts that they attempt to present to Y generation students can be dilluted by multi-tasking which can impact the quality of the student works.

The Y generation is the paperless generational. Their focus is on the ease provided by the newest technology. Current technology in the classroom such SmartBoards appeal to this generation.

Technology has made it easier to get facts quickly, but I'm not convinced there is much understanding of the information received. Although the internet, GPS, iphone have made life easier and maybe even more interesting, Gen Y seems to rely more on technology than on their own intelligence to figure things out.

Gen Y is used to immediate feed back and the ability to 'google' anything and get information that formerly would have taken many hours of library research to obtain.
In addition this generation is also used to beibng able to communicate instantly 24 hours a day, and access people around the world if they so choose. This results in a generation, that for the first time in history, has been global without travel. They can 'travel' wiothout leaving their house.
Their native technology experience means that instructors have to raise the bar and not only provide an engaging classroom , but be sure of their facts- if they use incorrect information, chances are the students will google it on their phone and dispute it within seconds. Preparation is even more important for teachers.

Stephanie ,
this is definitely a struggle with info addicted learners. All I can say is keep at it & enforce those rules. Many of your students probably do appreciate it as they find the technology distracting.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Stephen,
multi-tasking is definitely a "skill" possessed by most Gen Yers. However it is important that we help them realize that multi-tasking is not always the best option as it can interfere with their retention.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sara,
I too have found this to be true. One of the things I try to do is balance using new technologies & valuing this, while helping Gen Y learners to appreciate the value of paper books & the learning contained in them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Shari,
you are so right about this. I have found that mixing lecture with activities/demonstrations seems to help with attention & retention.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment