Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing stress is the most important soft skills to me. You have to learn to balance every activity or task that you are given, without getting stressed. Stress can lead to so many other problems, so you have to figure out whats important.

I believe common sense and dependability are very important for any employee to possess. In our expectations of others, we need to employ common sense in setting the example. We can't expect others to follow certain rules if we don't practice them ourselves. We need to be dependable, also. That would include accountability to those same rules and expectations.

How can we expect a student to come prepared if we are not prepared ourselves? How can we expect them to show us respect if we don't afford them the same?

Would you feel this is true, Mr Campbell?

How else, might we instill these practices in our students. They may have the best technical skills in the world, but cannot hold a job if they don't have the necessary soft skills in place. When they observe how we conduct ourselves, I believe they learn from these actions.

Do you agree?

Jeane,

You have a great take on things. I would like to think that "positive behavior" can be very effective in overcoming "negativity" displayed by any one person.

If we can somehow manage to tap into those negative feelings that a person has, change their outlook, and give them a more positive approach to things, then our classes should run much more smoothly.

That person will have a better opportunity of succeeding, not just in the class, but in the workplace, later. I would like to think that control in the classroom is good, but not the final aim that we have in introducing this student to a new "soft skill."

Frances,
Excellent points. So often employers ask us questions about our students performance. However, one of the first things they ask is about their attendance and the second is about their interactions with their peers. Seldom do we get questions about a students GPA. So, yes, we need to be a role model for them as well. If we cannot show them respect how can we expect them to show us respect?

I have always believed that your word is "gold", and right along with this, accountability. Being dependable and following through on anything you say you are going to do. People have to be able to trust that when you say you will do something, you do it. Students recognize this quality in a teacher, and hopefully some or a few of them will try to respond to life the same way. I think this one trait carrys over into ever aspect of a persons life.

Donna,
Our word is Gold. That is a soft skill that we can teach our students. When asked something we get them an answer, even if it is not that day, and we do not know the answer, we research to find the answer for them.

Being a good team player for an invironment conducive to learning and to understand others

I agree with what the content of the course that team work if maybe the most important soft skill today. In some ways good team work implies many of the other soft skills including listening, giving constructive feedback, having positive relationships, and being a motivator.

In my workplace, I depend on my staff to function as a team. If one stops participating as a team member, it definitely affects most of the aspects of the team, but the one that I see affected first is the positve attitude. It seems that most of the team energy is transferred to a focus on the team member who is slacking off.

Dolores

I agree with you, Jeane, that a negative attitude can certainly be more contagious. In some ways it seems that people are ready to accept a negative attitude faster than a positive one. They seem more distrustful of positive attitudes. Is that because we have come to expect the worst in everything?

Dolores

I am not sure how I feel about your choice, Deborah! There is part of me that agrees that it is important to manage emotions in the classroom, but I do not think that it is paramount. For me, creating an open and accepting classroom is most important--developing positive relationships with the students so that they each feel free to express ideas. Maybe that is what you are saying.

Dolores

I think that having effective workplace relationships are important because it allows you the abililty to get along with other and also one can perform a better job. It is great also because you enjoy going to work if things are great with co-workers.

I think the best soft skill to have is listening to what people have to say and respect their opion even if you disagree with what they are saying.

Positive attitude is a winning strategy, but I expect this as a given. Given the positive attitude, I think listening is the key. Students must know that you can be approached and that you will listen to their concerns or difficulties. Once two-way communication is opened, trust is established, and effort will increase. SInce their effort is now perceived to count for something.

Common Sense is at the top of the list due to how it helps attain greatness both in and out of the work place by using good judgements and making practical decisions. Additionally, most conflicts in the workplace can be can be avoided by being a good listener. Even if the message is clearly sent it doesn't mean anything if the audience is not listening.

I firmly believe that you have to have integrity to be successful in any workplace. The way you act or react when no one is watching really depicts who you are as an individual. I think you can lose you credibility and trust of your students or colleagues when they hear you say one thing, but do another.

Conflict resolution, This will come up more frequently than you would imagine. Following the chain of command to resolve any issues would be first priority. There will be many different senerios and resolutions, be compassionate but firm.

Integrity. People need to trust you and they find it easier to trust you if you are trustworthy. Nothing trumps integrity.

Judy,
Do you ever practice or role play the chain of command? There are many people who probably hear that terminology, and may not follow it. Is this something that is falling by the wayside in organizations today?

Sunshine,
I agree, role modeling goes much further than the spoken word in the classroom. It also is a reflection of how we act when walking down the halls, or if they see us outside the school in the community.

Particularly in the medical field, it is very important to be able to manage emotions to maintain professionalism. Our students are sometimes presented with high-stress situations like tyrannical or impatient doctors/nurses/staff, angry patients or even witnessing a patient's death. These situations can lead students to become upset, leading to anger or even crying in the presence of others. Patients and their families rely on medical staff to be technically skilled but also strong and dependable under pressure. Our students need to learn to keep their composure at all times no matter how difficult things get. This can be very challenging, but these emotions can be regulated when the student can recognize the progression of their emotions and learn to cope more effectively.

Sign In to comment