Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe that the most important soft skills to succeed in any workplace are: Attention to detail specially if you are working in the healthcare filed. Dependability: your co-workers and supervisors should be able to count on you, rely on you to get the job done. Integrity and honesty to perform your job without prejudices or biases. Also, I would like to add as a soft skill being a good team player in order to achieve individual and common goals.

The most important soft skills for success in any workplace would be integrity, positive attitude and common sense Since integrity deals with sound moral principles, uprightness, honesty and sincerity an instructor must possess these traits when dealing with or evaluating students/co-workers. For example: I am a nursing instructor, At the end of Clnicals a student evaluation has to be done on each student If the instructor is not paying any attention to how the students are performing their skills because she is talking on her phone and sitting down every chance she gets, dismissing them early and allowing them to arrive at the site late, where is the integrity on the instructors/students part? Any of these behaviors could constitue a clinical fail and the student is aware of this. The instructor is not being honest and sincere if she evaluates the student as satisfactory. The student as well as the instructor are not being productive. What kind of affect will this have on the student knowing that the instructor has allowed this type of behavior to exist. The evaluation should refect a clinical fail. How cold a positive attitue exist? Common sense should dictate to both parties that others are watching the situation and they know what is really going on so all of these soft skills have fallen by the way side.

Improving or working on your emotional intelligence is very important as there are many emotional triggers when being and intructor. We have our managers and our students that we need to consider in out daily interactions and their emotions can weigh on our ability to do our jobs effectively if do not know how to manage our emotions appropriately.

Vivian,
I agree with the statement on customer service.
Philip Campbell

Robert,
Well said. Many others should try to adopt.
Philip Campbell

I agree completely. What I would add is empathy for others as well.

first listenening goog lister is very important answer with common sense keep positve acttitude The student want to know they are important and what they have to say matter in my point of view the soft skills complement each ether in one during the learning process in reali importan develop confindent on the student show care un empathy

Claudia,
Being empathetic will help with developing relationships with students.
Philip Campbell

The most important soft skill is to listen and to be able offer feedback in a respectable manner.

A proper balane of soft and hard skills.Displaying workplace behavior on a daily basis delivers a positive attitude for the student

The most important soft skill in my opinion is being a good listener. By listening I can better meet the needs of my students.

I strongly agree with you, especially about the common sense. Common sense is a foundation that all the others rest upon.

To me common sense and conflict resolution. These two make a difference in the workplace and in the classroom. Teaching soft skills to students may be challenging, especially when the person refuses to change and does not accept mistakes. Conflict resolution in the workplace and classroom is an art that once mastered can be very beneficial and a contributor to team work.

Being a former Director of a Cardiopulmonary Services Department managing 6 cost centers, I have always focused on new hires with their "ATTITUDE." With a positive attitude you can accomplish everything. All other factors fit in. It is not all complete knowledge where a candidate is staring in the profession with an A average. I have intervied candidates with A averages with poor attitudes. I hired the C student with a positive attitude with the compassion to treat patients and have the good qualities as a "People Person." It is easier to convert a C student with a great attitude to become an A type person, however, it is difficult to have that A grade candidate to become an excellent people person with a bad attitude.

I think the most important soft skills are being able to relate to people you interact with as well as well as being flexing and supportive to your team members.

Svetlana

Arleen,
Conflict resolution is a hard skill for most and one that we need to work on.
Philip Campbell

In our society now a days, soft skills are many times forgotten in an every day setting. We as Instructors and role models we have to bring them back to the classroom. We can't forget the importance of these already mentioned skills. These are crucial to personal success and professional effectiveness.

Carmen,
Soft skills are forgotten and need to be thought of daily.
Philip Campbell

I believe that a positive attitude, conflict resolution and ability to workk with others are among some "keys to success" in the workplace. A team enviroment can suffer with dysfunction resulting from a lack of these.

The soft skill I use on day to day basis is listening to what the students needs are and taleoring the course to what they need to be sucessfull

Sign In to comment