Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In teaching it is motivation. Todays students are to quick to give up and quit when something is hard or requires practice to understand. Truly the generation of instant gradification.

Soft skills are and attitude that one has about people, and what they try to do for them. I belive they can be learned.Charles

jasen,
It is easy to give up school. We need to get them ingrained into the school community to get some relationships built to help support them.
Philip Campbell

No doubt commonsense and a positive attittude are Important. My concern is though common sense is always mentioned it is rarely exhibited in todays busness climate.

I think common sense is most important. In any work place there will be situations that arise that may not have a cut and dry solution. Applying common sense to these situations may allow for an adequate resolution. Look at the situation, consider your options, and do what you think is best.

I feel one of the most important soft skills is professionalism and knowing when to draw a line between teacher and student. This can be difficult when teaching adult learners. Dependability is also high on my list of soft skills. This is not only important to your employer but most importantly to the students.

I think one of the most important soft skills you can have in the work place is the ability to learn from each other. If we could all learn from one another's strengths - we would have far less weaknesses.

Nancy,
Being professional can overcome many obstacles.
Philip Campbell

Pam,
I like this one. Good point.
Philip Campbell

Many students these days have high intelligence but have little common sense. If we as instructors can help them acquire some of these skills I believe they will be more employable and more effective in the workplace!

The balance of all these skills is harder than most think. Common sense goes a long way in choosing which skills are needed when things arise. No one is perfect but you need to be able to make quick decisions where common sense might sway most. Always be positive reguardless.

Thanks

I believe one of the most important soft skills is an ability to connect at eye-level with a wide range of people. Even if the group one is dealing with represents a certain age group for example, it can not be assumed that each individual will respond to the same methods of communication. Each person is an individual and will respond to differing stimulus.

Paul,
The balance is the hardest thing to get.
Philip Campbell

As a Career Management Instructor, we focus a lot on Soft Skills in my class. Working in Career Services, we hear from employers often about the need for soft skills to succeed in the workplace.

I feel the most important soft skills needed for any workplace include having a positive attitude, the ability to communicate effectively, as well a professionalism. Having a positive attitude can show more confidence and create better working relationships. Communication skills, both oral and written are crucial when it comes to working with different types of individuals.

Putting all of this together along with a professional appearance, willingness to help, and being a self starter creates a professional image which sets the individual up for success.

I believe that effective listening skills and managing stress properly and effectively are two of the most important skills. Managing stress allows the mind to be more open to communication in terms of listening and verbal communication.

Nancy,
Managing stress is important and not easy to do. Learning to do that will benefit the individual.
Philip Campbell

I believe that all soft skills are important, the most inportant being just old fashion common sense, I do not think this can be learned in the classroom but is learned from our living life,it is an aquired sense and a natural sense rolled into one.

I believe that effective work relationships and customer service are the most important soft skills because if the instructor is professional and respectful and provide competent services to the students, a lot of conflict and chaos can be avoided. Also instructor's working as a team can help each other identify potential problems/issues of students. This can lead to resolving those problems/issues which can promote a more effective learning environment for the student.

I've long felt that the ability to empathize with others is the most important soft skill in all human interaction not just the workplace. In fact, I would suggest that it's the most important skill anyone can have to have a happy, healthy, prosperous existance.

I believe the most important soft skills to have in the work place are understanding others, possessing conflict resolution, dependability, and having positive attitude. certainly it is not solely limited to the list above but just to name a few.

Sign In to comment