Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Carmen,
I agree with your comment in many ways. I have been teaching for 10 years, but with saying that, many of my "soft skills" had to develop over time. Every group of students is different, and even though I think I have it, sometimes my skills have to be adjusted to fit a certain group the best way. It's a continuous work in progress, that may never be 100% complete (which is fine for me). I find it unfortunate though, that some people, not necessarily students, completely lack having yet even knowing what soft skills are. This is one of the most difficult thing to teach. I also agree that in the classroom, we ARE the role model. We can't expect it if we don't have it.
Amy

Sean,
the attitude of others can make or break a team.
Philip Campbell

Keith,
Listening is important for all of us.
Philip Campbell

I think one of the most important soft skills is the ability to assess and relate to others. I believe this would fall under the EQ area. Being able to talk with someone and effectively listen to what they are saying can go a long way toward understanding their mood and attitude, and can help you know how to respond. Working with instructors and students, it is very important to use EQ and soft skills to help avoid conflict. I can really see how soft skills and EQ relate.

I belief the most important soft skill in my career as an educator has been patience. It is by allowing myself the time to get to know each student and understand what their challenges are that I am able to be most effective.

Allan and Phillip,
I agree that "Common Sense" is a developed skill. However, I also believe that there are opportunities for us to teach this skill or train students to recognize opportunities for growth.
I am the instructor for the externship course. Essentialy I maintain contact with students while they work in the field. I handle many calls from students that need to develop "Common Sence" Skills and "People" Skills. In each scenerio, I try to have the student recognize the moment they could have stopped and changed the outcome of an interaction by their actions. I try to get them to see the full picture and understand the perspectives of others.

It is not easy but not impossible. Usually they have to suffer negative affects to understand they need to change.

Do you feel that is is our responsibility as instructors to teach these skills when possible?

The most important soft skill would be common sense. From this comes good decision making, good attitude (you and the students)and effective management of the class.

I agree with the study that being a team player is the most important skill to have in the workplace. In our personal lives, EQ is the way to go...

The most important soft skills are to have empathy and a positive attitude. Students quickly pick up on who genuinely is concerned about them as people and who is "doing their job".

Soft Skills are very important because you need positive attitude and the use of common sense in work place. The positive mood in the classroom motivates the student and they are more involved in studying and understanding the topic with you.

Lawrence,
A positive attitude will go a long way.
Philip Campbell

I don't think that there is one soft skill that is more important than the other. In my classroom, all of the soft skills are important. I am a chef instructor so attention to detail is important in my profession. It is the details that separate a home cook from a professional and that is what I must teach. There are many conflicts that arise in my kitchens and it is my job to be able to solve them with diplomacy. Integrity is extremely essential to me as a person. I feel that if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. Being positive and having a positive attitude is important. My students will be in extremely stressful situations when they in enter into the restaurant industry. I believe it is my job to help and guide them thru stressful situations by remaining positive although the situation my be negative. Respecting and understanding others is what working in a kitchen is all about. And lastly common sense, it is my job to show my students that what may be common to some is not common to all. Therefore when we don't use common sense in the kitchen we are a danger to ourselves and others.

In the 21st century,soft skill equal to about 85% of the adult learning experience. In my opinion attention to detail, conflict resolution, being drug free, being dependable,common sense, integrity and understanding and respecting others are my choices of strong soft skills. however as an educator let us not forget that we are not islands, Effective workplace relationships with respect and trust will allow all involved to succeed.

Tenisha ,
I sounds like you are doing a great job role modeling the behaviors that you want students to emulate. Keep up the good work.
Philip Campbell

A positive attitude along with understanding and respecting others goes a long way. Common sense always makes the day go so much easier. And if it all goes wrong, conflict resolution is one skill that you can hope to be good at so that all parties can walk away a winner. That just about includes all of them, doesn't it? They all have their place and time on any given day.

Being dependable is a very important skill in my team. We are only 3 instructors and are very busy. We know we can rely on each other to take over if all fails even though everyone is super-busy.

I agree with this 100%. As an Instructor in a Technical setting, more so than often is on the spot thinking required. Some our the students do not have the best home life, so having a consistent positive attitude may make this a place for them to be happy, and feel welcomed.

Plain and Simple: Customer Service
This soft skill is extremely important and, in my opinion, has become the most absent in today's society. Providing service beyond what is expected can make an immediate impact almost instantly, when needed. In lending an attentive mind by being aware of your surrounding, and listening effectively to students needs, you can direct them to the service(s) that will best fit AND meet their needs.

Marc,
Being positive allows them to be invested in what is going on. You are right some do have enough negativity around their personal lives that we should allow for opportunity to escape from that.
Philip Campbell

attitude is everything as i always tell my students. so on my end it is just as important for me to have a well adjusted attitude that allows my students to feel comfortable around me and approaching me.

Sign In to comment