Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One traight that is challanging is the inattentive student.When a vast majority of you students are engaged and excited in the information you are delivering with the exception of one or two students i try to get them involved with the material buy trying to find the whats in it for them and then they will see the inportance of the info and helps them relate to a senario that they are comfortable with

The students that treat this educational environment in the same manner as they did in high school (talking during presentations, sleeping in class, constantly late or leaving early, skipping class and lab time, not participating in class or lab exercises) are the most challenging for me. To help those types of students stay on track I devote a good of time the first day of class reinforcing the reasons they chose to come to this school. I try to explain the difference between public school, which they were required to attend, and private school, which is what they chose to attend, and what it will mean to them when they ultimately go out and begin working in this field. I also explain what advanced training can mean to their wage earning potential. For those students who are particularly stubborn or find it hard to change bad habits, I give them some sort of extra responsibility in the classroom or lab to keep them focused.

The challenge I see most often is the loss of motivation. We try to get students motivated through an orientation seminar. We talk about the light at the other end of the tunnel. Not all students react to this so also try to WIFM. Another strategy that I like to his is by showing them the value in what they are doing.

Hi Jerry,
You're right, it is good to let students know what's in it for them. I have a PowerPoint presentation for every course that I teach focusing on what's in the course for them. Students get really excited about the course on Day 1. I show the PowerPoint presentations on Day 1 of each grading period.
Patricia

Hi James,
It is so frustrating as collegian educators that we have to spend our time like this with unmotivated students. It saddens me whenever I encounter this type student. I too give a similar lecture as yours. If we can change one student for the better, then the lecture is not done in vain. We as educators must continue to be encouraged.
Patricia

Hello Leonardo,
We as educators must be super motivators. We have to sell our students on coming back to class the next day. Actually, we are the best salespeople in the building. I like to use the saying, Part II is tomorrow.
Patricia

The student that is indifferent to what is going on. Even when a question is asked directly to that student the reply is usualy the minimal. I find when I cant reach the student in class, I will talk to the student indavidualy and find some common ground. By knowing the student and gaining their cofidance They will interact better in class.Many times these student will continue to stop in and visit after they have left my class.

Hi Bernard,
The best way to win those indifferent students over is to try extremely hard to build a rapport with them. Once a rapport is built, the indifferent student normally changes for the better.
Patricia

The unprepared student os the most frustrating for me. In a technical school, the assumption is that these students know what they want to do and thus more motivated. When that is not the case, it can be very disconcerting. I have had to go one on one with that student to bring them up to speed and to reiterate what I expect from them.

the student I find the most challenged by is the constant talker and giggler.the first thing I do is look at the student.this sometimes works and nothing happens after. If it continues, at break or lunch I ask the student to speak with me for a moment. I then ask the student for his/her help. It is amazing , they ask how can I help, I then ask them to please help me help them be appart of this class because your success relies on you being part of a team. And right now it is this team that needs your help. It's great.

Hi Thomas,
There are unprepared students that attend various kinds of educational institutions. It can be frustrating, but as you have done, we must continue to try to get this type of student to see the importance of being prepared both in school and in the workplace.
Patricia

Hi James,
What a great technique to use for talkers and gigglers. It' amazing how "that look" can change things for the better.
Patricia

Sometime the student that has no questions in hard to read.I have found if they are having problems you don't find out until the first quiz or task they do on there own.I have found teaming them up with a student that does understand helps then also more one on one questions makes them feel more comfortable.

Hi Thomas,
You do run across those students that do not have any questions, and when it is time for them to perform they cannot do anything because they don't understand. The minute I determine that they really don't understand anything. I too pair them up with another student that really understands. I even come in early or stay late to help get the student to a level of understanding.
Patricia

Based on the comments I’ve read so far I have identified the following three student traits/actions that I find the most challenging:

1.Students that say they can’t do anything for themselves
2.Students that want you to do everything for them
3.Students that say they do not understand or that they are totally lost

When the students graduate from our campus and go to work in their chosen career they are going to learn that they are going to be expected to perform activities by themselves. There future employer expects all of his/her employees to produce a number of jobs per eight hour day.

If the student doesn’t understand or is totally lost because of time missing from class he/she must understand the correlation between not being present to ask questions or sufficient time to complete tasks. They must learn that they alone are responsible for their work.

Students must understand that they need to know how to research the information on their own. The exercises that we have them do is to teach them the proper process in obtaining this information on their own. No one is going to look this information up for them.

Students are given detailed written instructions on how a procedure is to be performed but are too lazy to read the instructions by themselves. We are talking about students who are not challenged with reading or understanding the English language. They would prefer someone else do the procedure for them instead of learning it by themselves with assistance when needed.

One of the most challenging students that I have has was one who had self entitlement issues. Where his mother told him he was the best.... And that his instructors had to pass him because he was paying so much. For me it was very difficult to deal with him. I barely finished teaching him without going on vacation to avoid him.

I can teach the uninformed.
I can teach the misguided.
How do I teach the Lazy?

Hi Michael,
You are right. Students must learn in the educational setting how to do things by themselves. An employer does not want employees who are solely dependent on others, however, I do understand that from time to time a question may need to be asked, but for the most part one must know how to perform by themselves. The hand holding stops once the student hits the workforce, and we must make this know to them.
Patricia

Hi Charles,
I've been teaching for twenty years, and I have not discovered a way yet to teach the lazy. Wanting to be taught has to come from within, and the student must put forth effort as well--it is a two way connection between the instructor and the student.
Patricia

I have a hard time with students that want someone else to do their work. They will call me over and want me to do their work. Then they act as though that is what I am supposed to do, that is "what they are paying for". They do not seem to grasp that at some point they will be out in the field on their own and will be expected to perform.
I am happy to answer their questions, but I will not do the work for them, and that is what I explain to them. I often find that their biggest problem is that they have not been challenged in their lives, and have always had someone there to pick them up. For most of them it is a simple matter of showing them that they can think through their problems, and that they will be able to do this on their own in the field. I then show them how to rely on each other and to use what they each know as a resource to help to solve the problem.

The students that I have challeges with tend to be those that do not work to their abilities. This type of student has all of the ability but does not work to the fullest of their abilities. Sometimes the student does not have the confidence that they can perform at the level expected or they become board easily and then they tend to shut down and perform at a limited capacity. Other time they have acquired poor work habits that cause them to underachieve. This can be trying as each student is different and needs a tailored approach to help them work to their fullest potential.

Sign In to comment