Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

a student that asks questions all the time.questions are great.if the student is not understanding what is being taught,i will spend extra time after school,before class,or send them to fast lane to get the help he/she needs.

The student who works eight hours either before or after class. These poor souls have the drive and iniative to succeed but often times they are at their wits end with school and with work. A discussion with this student to try and understand where he is coming from and where he wants to be after graduation from school. Many of these students will change their ideas of what they want to do and where they want to do it. Often a discussion will re-invigorate this student to completion.

Hello Timothy,
I remember those type students that ask questions all the time. They can be a challenge. You have to let them know that you greatly appreciate their questions, but the questions do need to be limited due to classroom time constraints, however, he/she can come by your office and ask as many questions as he or she likes. In other words, you want he/she to ask questions, but limit the questions.
Patricia

Hi Rich,
I've had to deal with a few of these students too. I always express that coming to school is a temporary solution to a permanent fix--remember no pain, no gain.
Patricia

It seems my most challenging student is the one that holds his own conversation with others at or near his desk. I tend to direct more questions his way in hopes that he will pay attention to what is being taught. If this does not work I talk to him privetly and let him know I will hold him responsble for his actions

Hi Steve,
Great point out as a challenging student. I've come across a few of these type students too. I immediately let the student know that he or she needs to share the conversation with the entire class or refrain from conversing. This tactic normally puts things in perspective.
Patricia

A couple of the most challenging traits I see in my students are lack of motivation and students that have issues with authority. One of the best ways that I have found to deal with both of these issues is to build an atmosphere of respect in the classroom and also assign leadership tasks for the students of the class on a rotating basis. This gives the students a feeling of being part of something and a chance to both lead and be led in group activities.

I'm bothered by students that can't stay awake, and by those that can't shut up. Both types usually reguire a strong warning to let them know that I'm serious about their behavior.

Hi Gregory,
From time to time, you may get students that will test authority. I let these authority testers know that it is not a game, and if you can not abide by rules, policies, and procedures then maybe this institution is not for you. Generally, after a good conversation, the student humbles himself/herself. The conversation is normally firm, yet professional and warm.
Patricia

Hi Douglas,
I refuse to allow students to sleep in my class. I do follow your suit, after a strong warning, if it happens again, I immediately remove the student. I do the same for mouthy students also.
Patricia

I feel the most challenging for me is the center stage students, at first the questions are good they keep the class going but then the questions seem to be overwhelming and not important to class functions at the time. I offer to those students discussion after class or before to identify is it curiosity or just wanting attention.

I find that the students that keep talking are the most challenging. I will take them aside and explain to them how distracting it is to me and the other students and how unfair it is to to other students education.

Hi Louis,
Center stage students can add to the lecture, and on the flip side, they can take away from the lecture. You must control center stage students, otherwise, they will take over the class. It can be determined quickly who center stage students are, and once they have been determined, as the instructor, you must keep a watchful eye on them because they will try to run the class.
Patricia

Hi Terry,
Nip the talking students in the bud. Your approach that you take to this challenge is very professional, and I am sure your approach takes care of things. Just remember, don't let the talkers control the class.
Patricia

The students I find most callenging are the lazy ones, you know the ones that want you to do every thing for them. Tony Herman

Hi Anthony,
Isn't it ashame to be in college and want the instructor to do everything for you? I don't get!
Patricia

The loud student can distract the class so I work on getting their help with
Working on projects or helping other students. The inattentive or quiet student I
Spend time during breaks or during labs to help them feel important.

Hi Jeff,
You give each type student a role. How has given each type student a role made a difference?
Patricia

The student that is unprepared is hard for me to accept. Not one that works, but a student who comes walking in at the bell with no books, no id and is not sure what he was to read or look over the night before. Some of these students may even take the class over two or three times and could still not tell you what the class was about. Some even say that they have loss a job for being late and still have not learned. The god side is that there are not too many off them I tell them about the people I know that are like them and the problems that they have, but so far no luck in turning them from the dark side.

Hi Robin,
It is extremely hard to turn this type of student from the dark side. You must continue to try though, and as you stated, the good thing is there are not many of these type students. Most students are wanting to be successful.
Patricia

Sign In to comment