Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Little over 2 months ago I had about two thirds of class give that exact response to just about any question.(not just to me, but to education managers as well)
The same two thirds were also 'probably' guilty of systematic cheating. (without proof I have to give 'benefit of the doubt')
It was impossible to spend enough time individually with each student to find exact problem/cause.
Only one student admitted cheating when asked a leading question
"I guess other people cheated better than you did?"
His response, "I cheated, but I still failed?"
How do you deal with this?

Hi Peter,
I normally give them the speil on how cheating really hurts them, and especially when they must perform task at hand on the job.
Patricia

The Students that miss time, I try to remind them of there personal goals, this seems to help but still is difficalt.

Hi Steve,
We've adopted a similar plan at my school. At the midpoint of each module we remind students of there personal goals that they have written. If there is a need, they are reminded of the personal goals sooner. This tactic tends to help keep the student focused and held accountable.
Patricia
Patricia

The students that tend not work to their abilities. This type of student has all of the ability but does not work to the fullest of their abilities. Sometimes the student does not have the confidence that they can perform at the level expected and perform at a limited capacity. Other time they have acquired poor work habits. This can be tough as each student is different.

Hi Chris,
Nothing saddens me more than to have a student that is really academically gifted, but the student chooses to settle for the absolute bare minimum. I look at it as a wasted gift. I do have serious conversations with these type of students.
Patricia

The students I find most challenging are the loud, agressive ones who talk over me during lecture; the ones who text even after I'm very clear about the "no cell phones during class" policy; the ones who continually leave before class is even over.

If time permits the more interaction with these students are the key. The key is to provide small private victories (Stephen Covey) and form good habits to analyze readings and ask logical questions. An example could be as simple as asking them to reread the text and provide a sense of accomplishment to them. They most likely didn’t read it in the first place. This drives the point of habit to read and re-read when you don’t understand something. Then try and reduce the topic to simple terms. This forms good habits and provides the student with a clear accomplishment.

The most challenging trait is the know it alls, I try to engage them to drive them deeper into the material.

Hi Drexel,
The know-it-alls are definitely a hand full. I like to give these students leadership roles because they do not mind being in the lime light.
Patricia

I find students that are inattentive to be particularly challenging. To combat this, I've employed questiong in a "round-robin" style that tends to keep the class focused. This usually tends to keep the students engaged, never knowing when they might be called upon.

A student that is half committed. They will come to class late at times, never really prepared, at times day dreams of something else besides this classes topics and blames anyone besides themself when they do not do well like their other friends on test and or exams. I try to recognize this behavior early and make suggestions for the student.

Hi David,
This is certainly challenging. All you can do is continue to talk to the student so that they student can change their ways.

Patricia Scales

The student traits/actions that I find most challenging is the angry student who hates the school, the policies, the course, the instructor, and is just generally mad at the world. I try to listen to their complaints or issues so they feel validated, and refer them to the appropriate channels for assistance.

Sign In to comment