Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

distractions

we share a computer room with alot of other instructors, often when i am trying to concentrate on something like this course, there alot of other instructors in the same room doing different things or just talking with each other, I find it very difficult to concentrate on something when there is so much distraction.

I understand exactly where you're coming from Steve. Some people thrive on chaotic environments and are more productive in them. Others are the opposite and need quiet. I might suggest you ask your administration if they could provide you a quiet place to work or if they would allow you to work from home.

We have a room that is like that. There are signs up that say it is supposed to be a QUIET ROOM. Most of the time it is fairly quiet. If it gets too loud in there I just leave. I have scheduled my time in there around most of the other instructors so I am often the only one in there.

I agree! I also share a room with multiple adjunct faculty. When I arrive before my classes, I really need to use that time to prepare for my classes and catch up on grading, etc. However, everyone else is chatting or making phone calls. Its very tough to concentrate.

It seems the best thing ot do is accomplomplish your work prior to coming into the large room within your own private classroom.

Maybe try and talk to those that are being distractive. Sometimes people do not even realize.

I share the same room with Steve and agree with his thoughts. I do know however that it is the only place for the employees to gather and discuss anything. I try to remeber this and it helps me push through.

Maybe you can find another spot on those days you can't take it!

I know only to well what Steve is talking about.I am in another building,but it has the same outcome.

We have some shared, common rooms. I'm easily distracted by conversations on movies or whatnot. I try to find an empty classroom to complete my work. I will then go to one of the common rooms to BS, or listen to sports news. Go Chiefs!

I agree with distractions interrupting my ability to concentrate on something such as this course or learning something new for the course I am teaching. If I can find a nice quiet place to learn I feel much better about the time I spent on the subject, regardless what it is.

what i have found that works great for me is putting in ear plugs and also putting on head phones.. people might not understand your tring to take a test or concentrate on what your doing, but its an easy way to tone them out

I also have this problem from time to time, and first thing I will do is try to determone how important the task is I'm trying to accomplish. Some times turning to your fellow instructors and stating the importance of the task and asking politely for some consideration usally works well for me as most of my fellow instructors understand all of our time limitations. Truitt

This is true Truitt. Sometimes we have to set expectations by communicating task importance and priority. Though priority may be obvious to us, it's not always apparent to those we work with.

Maybe a mount sign stating "This room is a quet zone. We use this room for grading, attendance, and training. Please be quite so others can work" This will allow others to understand the need for a professional attitude in this space.

Yes, I might add a "Thank you" to that sign but I think it would work quite well. At first, it will likely attract a bit of attention. In the end though, it will be well worth it.

Sign In to comment