Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think usually I prefer to complete tasks right away, but that is very stressful, yes I think it is better to write "to do" list, and arrange tasks the important and urgent ones first then we go to the rest.

I used to be an enthusiastic (some would say compulsive) list maker. I finally realized that confronting the list, which grew longer with each revision, was the source of most of my stress. I still use strategic lists for daily agendas or individual project management, but have abandoned the "master" list and am much happier.

This has been an excellent module to remind me to start using my DayTimer again.

Having been in Project Management in the construction industry, I am keenly aware of time management. I try to prioritize tasks based on when the tasks need to be completed. I also try to divide my time up among immediate, near immediate, and longer term tasks.

Robert, It sounds like you have developed a great approach for both your work and your life. That's great to hear. Sometimes people in project management have a case of the shoe cobblers shoes.

Dr. Melissa Read

John, It sounds like you have done some work refining what works best for you. That is important. Each person is different and requires a different approach to success.

Dr. Melissa Read

In regard to prioritizing task, it seems just as important to control yourself and make sure you are careful not to try and do things all at once. The problem is that in the real world you have to deal with individual that enjoy working chaotically, and sometimes you find yourself constantly rearranging scheduled events in order to insure everything that needs to get done, does get done.

For example: Suppose you plan your modules so that everyone can complete their work without undue pressure, and then a superior walks up to you and says I need to meet with your class for five minutes. Of coarse you agree, what choice do you have? Instead of five minute the superior takes an hour. Now you have to re-arrange your day because your task for that hour were not the only task you needed to complete.

So unless you are working with like minded people, you will have to manage stress and time.

I have been making"to do" list for many years. However I usually don't break them down into smaller task. I will start incorporating this into all my lists...then hopefully I won't procrastinate quite so much...

Tammy Taylor

I do prepare a task list for m lesson plan daily, but I do struggle with prioritizing other tasks outside of the classroom. I prioritize list at the beginning of the week- then it gets modified when needed through the week. My Family tasks is what takes the worst priority. That I feel should be the number one priority.

Tammy, You can start by just taking the biggest task on your list and breaking it down into smaller pieces. Then try chipping away at them and refine your process from there.

Dr. Melissa Read

Carolyn, You bring up some good points and they actually speak to the need for building a buffer into your schedule. If it is possible, allow extra time for the unexpected to account for all the miscellaneous things that can add up.

Dr. Melissa Read

I am 100% the procrastinator. I'm not proud of it, but I know this to be true. I'd like to think I can alter my ways a little (or a lot), but it's not always as easy as that... Especially in a situation like mine: a freelancer.

Task Prioritization is necessary to accomplish your requirements for class each day.

Normally I would stress myself until each & every task was complete, preferably ahead of schedule. That pattern of behavior created an undue amount of self imposed pressure & stress. I have recently begun looking at the bigger perspective and am making strides in prioritizing tasks to meet realistic deadlines. I have always worked under the ethic of if you're on time, you're late, but managing tasks in a more appropriate manner, allows me to view the bigger picture & gain a better undersatanding of the whys & hows of those tasks.

I do tend to write 'to do' lists, but not on a regular basis. I will make a conscious effort to do these on a more frequent, regular basis.

I am a bad procrastinator....after reading this module, I will make a more conscious effort to make regular priority lists, at least weekly.

I write my objective in order to be completed by the end of the day. It helps structure my organizational skills.

I usually get things done right away if I can , because I have learnt over the years that things happens sometimes so procrastination is not something I do often. I don't function effectively under stress so I set my priorities and pace myself.

Most of my check lists are in my head, but I do write them down on occassion.

Task prioritization is a life skill. Not only at work but in personal life. If you personal life has some organization it will flow over tp your professional life

Sign In to comment