Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Today's instantaneous world doesn't provide enough opportunities for students to practice and develop critical thinking skills.

I've reiterated the importance of Critical Thinking in my own life as well as in the lives of my students. Due to what I often describe as the "feedback loop" in which questions and answers are often exchanged through near instantaneous means on the internet, students (as well as teachers) lose their ability to develop a fundamental understanding on the material at hand and can have their skills crippled as a result/

Common sense is not so common anymore.

Critical thinking requires the use of thinking of recommendations and solutions to situations. It is critical for the advancement of life.

Socratic questioning is important to help students develop critical thinking skills and be able to judge and apply the content.

Critical thinking is the ability to gather and filter information in order to make self determined and thus educated decision vs having an emotionally based decision making process.

Comment on Stacie Williamson's post: it is essential  but most importantly I feel that it opens up the stuents meantally to other possibillities when as a group disscussing to the options or alternatives to a perticular subject. 

I also feel that yes social media is a big factor making our student think faster when trying to explore other options. 

Critical Thinking is a process and we also need to help our students. This can be done by giving time and effort, we can also ask questions to get them to think.

Critical education requires non-emotionally based decisions based on gathering  relational knowledge.

I agree on critical thinking is important skill to be able to function 

Critical thinking is important to everyday life as we need to use those skills 

Critical thinking is a problem solving , reasoning and evaluating 

Critical thinking happens from birth, and as instructors, we need to assist our students in developing the skill.

Critical thinking skills allow individuals to perform problem-solving and decision-making effectively. 

Very interesting.  I liked the discussion on timing and flow of information to students.  We do tend to think in terms of quick results (e.g. Google searches) these days, whereas critical thinking involves investing time to gather background information and facts to draw well-reasoned conclusions.

The critical thinking process has a long history, however dubious the neolithic information presented may be. Sadly, students these days face unprecedented challenges, in terms of the amount of information to sort through the time they are given to process it. Therefore, it is essential that critical thinking skills Are encouraged at every avenue .

Analyzing, assessment, reconstruction, logic, and independent judgement are elements required for critical thinking.  Providing the tools to students, enable them to assess and apply  subjective and objective analysis ,S&S presented by the patients. 

I ALWAYS use examples and visual representation in my lectures as I am a visual learner and helps to see what I'm talking about. The application of knowledge is much more quickly applied.

Critical thinking is a skill that has historical significance. It takes time to develop and is very necessary and useful to nursing students. I look forward to applying the information learned in this module. 

What have you learned from this module and how do you intend to apply it?

I learned that the history of critical thinking can be traced further back than Socrates. It emphasized a point that few people seem to remember, that it takes work to find the truth. In this era of instant access to "news & information" and with AI generated content, it takes more work to dig to the truth. Most people are lazy and won't do it. This module helps instructors provide students with reasons why they should do the work. Much of nursing is about critical thinking, not just accepting "the doctor said so".

Sign In to comment