Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Various Components of the Flipped Classroom | Origin: ED129

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Practical Applications for the Flipped Classroom --> Various Components of the Flipped Classroom

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Can spend more in class time learning with reducing lectures, risking the learner of disconnecting from the class. Allows time to dig deeper into the subject and course correct learners if the learning obective is not being met.

Allow for more summative and formative assesments

These concepts will help enhance the learning experience in the flipped classroom.  One of the purposes of the flipped classroom is to save FTF time by having students learn concepts ahead.  These suggestions will help maximize learning.

I liked the suggestions for combatting learner resistance as it relates to the flipped classroom model.  It is important to gain buy-in from all students in your class.  I find that explaining why you instruct the way you do and referring to Bloom's taxology to demonstrate how the flipped classroom promotes higher levels of learning, can help when students resist this type of learning.  I think it is also important to start small and use activities that you can easily demonstrate successful learning of class outcomes to allow students to see the benefit of the flipped classroom.  I also appreciated the suggestion to complete both formative and summative assessments often to better guage student learning.

I appreciate how it instructs to start from the very first with active learning. Set up the environment and set the tone early. Explain the methodology for pedagogical choices and work to gain buy-in from the learner. Combat resistance with a thorough understanding of the ideas and principles behind the direction of imparting the education. 

I learned the most from the overcoming student resistance section. The strategies provided seem logical and viable, and I think are great ways to demonstrate to students that the flipped model is much more CTE and career relavent than exclusively traditional learning.

I think the importance of connecting the "why" to students, especially in terms of flipped classroom is important and helps them reap more of the benefits from exercises like this. 

I like the idea of less lecturing. I am not particularily a strong lecturer to the whole class. I choose to lecture in a 1 to 1 setting. I find that much more beneficiial to the student. I find it much better for the students to prepare and then I will strengthen the content and the how much they retain.

The idea of a flipped classroom appeals to me because I've always been a teacher who runs a project-based classroom. I believe the hands-on approach of flipped classrooms allow the students and teacher to collaborate, learn through different modalities, and exercise their learning strengths. 

Keep the students hands on and busy with ftf conversations is always a plus. I don't love lectures and this seems like a great way to keep students awake and involved. Plus it saves a lot of time.

I learned most from the guidance on overcoming learning resistance in this module. Change can be challenging to cope with and to understand the benefits of such change. I like the suggestions on preventing or reducing learning resistance, such as making learning activities relevant to real-world applications and providing timely feedback through transparent communication.

Sign In to comment