Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Questioning - The Basics

If you were the mentor of a new instructor who has never taught before, what are the first three things you will share with the new instructor about using questioning effectively in the classroom?

Scott,

These are excellent pieces of advice. I do follow all of them as well.

Judy Mohammed

Jamie,

These are great pieces of advice. Be sure to share them with other instructors.

Judy Mohammed

Donald,

This is great. I also ask the other students whether they agree with the responses, right or wrong. This also helps with all students being attentive in class.

Judy Mohammed

New instructors will learn the creative side of questioning by: making small steps in the technical area, then step back and ask probing questions to evaluate what has been learned. Next would be to have random students explain a concept and at times pass the focus of the topic to another student to finish off the question.

This helps new instructors, and keeps the students on their game, not knowing who will be called on next.

Donald,

This is great advice that should be shared with other teachers.

Judy Mohammed

I would share with the new instructor the fact there are two major types of questions, Open & Closed, and encourage them to ask more open questions. Secondly, I would stress upon them the importance of wait times. Encouraging them to allow the students a few seconds to answer closed questions, and also waiting approx. 3 seconds before reacting to their answers. I would also explain that there is no "best" wait time for responses to open questions, but they should allow enough time for the students to prepare an answer to the questions. Lastly, I would tell them of the importance of reinforcement and praise with regards to students answering questions in the classroom.

1- Make sure you give each student the same amount of time to answer the question.
2- Carry the roll sheet with you as you walk around the class to make it easier to call on random students.
3- Jeopardy or other review games make answering the questions fun for the students .Just make sure you mix in some open and closed type questions.

Richard,

This is very good advice and I hope that you get the opportunity to work with new teachers.

Judy Mohammed

ROBERT,

This is great advice and should be shared with other teachers.

Judy Mohammed

For brand new instructors, I would say wait time and praise/reinforcement are key. often, new instructors get bogged down with the idea of meeting the objectives and focusing on the lesson, that they do not realize that they are missing key teaching moments with class discussion.

I would echo, too, what others have written, with the idea of being creative. It has happened numerous times that I will ask a questions, get the blank stares and dead-silence back. I re-word the question, and answer start flying. Always be ready to adjust!

Erin ,

Great information! I used to be bogged down by ensuring that I get all my information in via lecture, that was before I learned that I could get enough of the info in and keep the students alert and interested by interactive classes. I then planned for the discussions.

Judy Mohammed

If you were the mentor of a new instructor who has never taught before, what are the first three things you will share with the new instructor about using questioning effectively in the classroom?

1. Give equal opportunities to all students to answer the questions.
2. Give an average of 3 seconds wait time
3. Encourage open ended questions
4. Do not criticize any student, in fact guide them, redirect them to probe them to improve their self confidence.
5. I would love to remember by students names.

First, I would suggest that asking questions of the class is a way of getting to know the students and giving them an opportunity to get to know you. Ask non-threatening questions that give the students the opportunity to feel comfortable with speaking in class.

Second, I would suggest asking general questions that give the students the opportunity to show what they already know. From this the Instructor would have the chance to determine what the students might not already know.

And third, I would ask more probing questions – again non-threatening – to attempt to home in on what needs to be taught to help the students learn the material to be covered.

Art,

This is great advice and I do hope that you get the opportunity to share with others.

Judy Mohammed

Harpreet,

This is great advice. Remember to share with all teachers.

Judy Mohammed

I like these ideas for the classroom. It seems that it will keeps students engaged

First, I would tell that thought responses help the class move forward so try to ask questions that will require students to speak and communicate (no closed questions :) )... I would tell them to ask questions that will let you know if they understand that material instead of asking "do you understand?"....Finally, I would also have students right down questions to ask other students that require more than a yes or no answer.....This gets the stuedents involved as well as find out where the class trouble areas of comprehension are....

I would tell the instructor the types of questions NOT to ask such as:

Does everyone undestand this?
Are there any questions?

I would also explain the concept of wait time to the new instructor.

If I am mentoring,I will share some things that I use in my teaching.I try to use open ended questions or make close ended questions to open.I will also share that I provide 3 to 4 sec of wait time and use redirection and probing a lot during my teaching.Also students really like praise and reinforcement,keeps them motivated and they try more so I use it time to time with my students.I hope these will help the new Instructor and she can make her own instructional stretegy

Sign In to comment