Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Colby,

It does encourage a more interactive class and it forces the students to use their critical thinking skills.

Judy Mohammed

Joseph,

These are all great suggestions. There are times though when we are unable to use open questions, especially if we are running out of time. We need to gage the discussions and plan the questions. However, sometimes, a question can take more time than we expected.

Judy Mohammed

William,

Great suggestions! We need to ask questions that encourage students to use their critical thinking skills.

Judy Mohammed

Neelam,

It sounds like your class is very interesting and interactive. The students must enjoy them.

Judy Mohammed

I would tell them to increase their wait time for struggling students, ask more open questions and to stress application questions once it appears material is being absorbed.

Vance,

This is good advice. Remember to share it.

Judy Mohammed

I like to put questions on a 3x5 index card and put in envelopes and pass out to random students and have them read the question out loud to the class and have the student answer the question. I find that this helps the student to remember the question and answer

When this topic comes up it usually is because a student is not participating or someone is trying to "take over" the discussion. To the former I suggest they speak with the student during the break and let them know they will be called on when class resumes. The student is more prepared and realizes it is ok to participate. To the latter it is letting the student know there are other people in the class we want to hear from. Ohter than that it is about being perceived as fair and balanced among the students in the class. Not always calling on the same people and/or ignoring others.

1.I would go over open versus closed questions. Here, in a nursing school, the students are taught about therapeutic communication using open and closed questions when doing an assessment on a patient. But the instructors need to be reminded to also use in the classroom.
2. To use probing or redirection. It encourages the students to know they were on the right track and become more active learners.
3. Using praise carefully. The "x" generation does love praise but as the course pointed out, it can be overdone and then not effective.

I would Ask this new teacher to try using games, like jeopardy to get all students to participate.
Also to give everyone the same amount of time to answer the questions, and finally, remember to reenforce students good answers appropriately.

Richard,

This is great because it encourages critical thinking. You can also have the students work in pairs to question each other.

Judy Mohammed

Martha,

Students enjoy learning in this way; keep up the great work.

Judy Mohammed

Earle,

When a student is hesitant about participating, I try to speak to them about their interests during the break and then bring the conversation into the classroom.

Judy Mohammed

Kathy,

All good points! Be sure to share them with other teachers.

Judy Mohammed

Limit the amount of closed questioning (provide an example based on just knowledge) and incorporate more open questioning by following Blooms taxonomy verbiage in the questions (provide an example based on comprehension). Allow sufficient time for all students to answer and build on various answers given through redirection or probing. Limit praise for those instances that demonstrate higher learning skills.

I would suggest using more open questions than closed questions. I would also emphasize giving the same wait time to every student, and also giving proper reaction to every student's response (not exagerated in praise or disrespectful in correcting wrong answer.

Annie,

This is good advice. Please hare with other teachers.

Judy Mohammed

Kelli,

Great advice. The more examples we provide for students, the more opportunities that we give them for success.

Judy Mohammed

1.Make sure every one get the same amount of time to answer to questions.
2. Get to know your students.
3. Believe in your students even if they don’t believe in themselves.

I would ensure that the invididual that was being mentored could observe a classroom setting to ensure they utilized what was comfortable for them. also making sure questions appropriate for lesson plan.

Sign In to comment