Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cynthia,

I appreciate all the reminders in teaching because it is so easy to forget the good practices.

Judy Mohammed

John,

Though somewhat difficult to read, your advice is good. I usually plan my questions into my lectures.

Judy Mohammed

One of the three things that I would share with the new instructor is: 1)already know what questions you are going to ask before class starts, 2)have a list of student names, 3)and when someone give the wrong answer do not embarrass the students.

Suggestions I would give to a new instructor:

1. Have a list of questions ready to ask the class;
2. Make sure you have the answers, and if the questions address material in the book, make sure you have the page or source of answer ready if a student asks;
3. Wait for responses - what seems like an eternity of silence is really only a few seconds. You don't look foolish waiting, merely patient; and
4. Don't be afraid to say you don't know the answer. If you don't know the answer, perhaps turn it around and ask the students to find the answer (redirect). If you have access to a computer in the classroom, perhaps you can state "Great question, let's find out together".

Finally, always thank the students for either asking or answering a question. It helps to encourage more questions in the classroom.

The first thing I would tell a new instructor about questioning in the classroom would be that he or she must realize that just because your best student answers all your questions correctly don't assume that everyone one knows the answers.

The second thing would be to keep the questions coming don't stand there lecturing and vary the mix between open and closed questions.

The third would thing would be to be careful of shutting a student down when he answers incorrectly. Even if he stumbles don't let him twist in the wind. Give him some help or have some others in the class help him figure the answers out.

I would first ask the new instructor the same questions that would be asked to the students just to make sure we are on the same page,just to keep things consistent. I would also explain that if the student did not answer the question correctly that they should then ask some more questions to the student that cold lead them to the correct answer. Also, let the student take what time they need to answer the question without any interruption from the instructor before they have finished.

Try to redirect and probe when possible. Attempt to increase wait times for everyone whether a good or bad student and use as many types of open ended questions to ensure they have a thorough understanding

First, I would talk with the new instructor about the idea of the "flipped classroom." This would help set the framework for why in-class time should involve more questioning.

Second, I would share examples of questions that would help them engage students in higher levels of learning (Blooms). For instance, the closed questions help with memory, but interpretation, translation and application questions help students reach higher levels. I'd also tie this to Socratic method.

Lastly, I would try to show the new instructor concepts of the Pygmalion effect - and how they respond to student answers can impact the self-esteem and self-concept of students regarding their success. This is where I would tie in the reinforcement, praise, probing and redirection.

Thanks!

Rick

Shalonda,

This is great advice. I always plan my questions into my lectures. I use my roster in the beginning but I learn the names of my students very quickly.

Judy Mohammed

Louise,

This is great advice. I could be the teacher in your class. I usually turn the questions around to the students and have them do the research. However, I also do my own research so that I am prepared as well.

Michael,

This is great advice. I love what is happening in the classroom now, so much great advice!

Judy Mohammed

Thomas,

This is great advice. Probing is an excellent way to help students or guide them to the answers.

Judy Mohammed

Kristy,

This is very good advice. I hope you have the opportunity to share your advice.

Judy Mohammed

Richard,

Great advice! You should certainly share this information with other teachers, and not only the new ones.

Judy Mohammed

Utilize questions to help keep students focused on what is being taught.
Call on different students to answer questions, so that it is not just one student answering everything.
Get to know your students names, they feel special when you are able to call on them by name.

1. The first thing I would say is to try and use questions to set the tone and flow of the class. I will often cover a topic and ask follow-up questions to reinforce the idea, and give time for the idea to settle in the students minds.
2. Using open questions can sometimes have unexpected responses. Don’t be afraid to find out what you students think and be prepared to respond to anything. This is where knowing your subject is essential to being an effective teacher. (This may just be my experience I teach technology to students many of whom have never owned a PC. I am routinely surprised by responses to open questions.)
3. I will use questions to set a baseline for what needs to be covered. You can use open questions to test the waters for a subject before covering it as a way to determine what needs more or less attention.

Sheila,

This is great advice. Please share with other teachers.

Judy Mohammed

The first point I would offer to them is to remember to preserve the student's dignity when they answer a question incorrectly and try to find a way to make them not feel stupid. Next, I would advise them to be sure to make eye contact with the students when asking the question and when the student responds. Last, I would tell them to remember there is a class full of students who want a chance to speak so do not call on the same student, even if they are the only ones raising their hand. Others in the class know the answers also.

I can see that some students struggle, but do not want to be singled out.

When you are questioning students, first, you must try to keep your questions short and easy to understand. Second, you should try to encourage active participation from all students. I frequently look at the sign in sheet and call out a name for a question, especially if I only get one or two people out of the room who respond. Third, try to think of ways your questions can be used to stimulate a student's thinking.

Sign In to comment