Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First of all, I would stress the importance of questioning to be able to (1) gauge the students ability to comprehend the material, (2) See if my presentation is actually reaching the audience by interpreting the responses that you receive, and (3) Allowing the students to answer questions so that you can encourage and praise them for correct answers and the effort they are putting in to their education. Questioning is probably the most effective tool for interacting with the students in a classroom environment. If done on a continual basis, students will tend to stay with the lecture as opposed to mentally drifting off.

I would tell them that even the smartest student in the class doesn't always understand a concept. So do not be afraid to ask them or anyone else. I like to ask open ended questions and let multiple students elaborate on the topic to help each other get to the right answer with my direction. This way everyone has a chance to answer whether it is right or wrong to keep everyone participating. New instructors have to make sure to ask many different types of questions (closed versus open) to make sure your students are comprehending what you are teaching. I would tell them that even if they ask a question and no one can answer it correctly, this does not mean your students are engaging or comprehending what you are lecturing. It may just be the way you asked the question that confused them. So redirect that question in a manner that is understandable for the students.

1) Never anticipate how the students will answer and base your lesson plans on that answer. If they answer differently than you expect it will throw the whole lesson plan.

2) Think up though provoking questions that get to the heart of the learning objectives.

3) Get to know you students. This will help when creating questions.

I too use humor to keep the class dynamic lighter. I find you get better responses to questions if the student is comfortable enough to evn answer a question wrong.

What a great question? First is not to make the question to complicated and keep the words in the question simple to understand escpecially for drafting students in the drafting department.

Second: make sure students heard the question sometimes they are so focus on the exercise they forget to listen

Third: make sure when instructor responds to the answer not make a snap judgement on the answer we instructors need to make sure we process the answer and make we see it from there point of view. Thanks eileen

The first thing would be to stress the importance of open ended questions.

The second would be to discuss the importance of increased wait time for students to answer questions

The third thing to reming new teachers of would be the protection of students self esteem.

I have this same problem. How can I help them.

Joshua,

This is great advice. I also let my students know that I do not have all of the answers and sometimes, we may have to research the information together.

Judy Mohammed

Brittany,

Great advice! I also give multiple students opportunities to respond, but I need to be careful to give enough wait time as well.

Judy Mohammed

Kimberly,

This is great advice and I hope you share with other instructors, new or trained.

Judy Mohammed

Tim,

This is good advice. I use my roster during the first two sessions and this helps me to learn the names. Students know that we are paying attention when we call them by name.

Judy Mohammed

Stephen,

This is a good evaluation of how to use questions in lasses. Have you always used questions in lasses?

Judy Mohammed

Jacob,

You are so right. It is important for us to get to know our students. This helps to draw I shy students as well.

Judy Mohammed

Steven,

I plan my humor into my lectures at appropriate times.

Judy Mohammed

Eileen,

This is great information to be shared with other teachers. You should do so.

Judy Mohammed

Pamela,

This is good advice and should be shared with others.

Judy Mohammed

Christine,

I try to engage them in conversation abut their interests during breaks, then I try to bring these discussions to the class to engage them.

Judy Mohammed

1:: Never give positive reinforcement to a student that asks question only to demand attention.

2:: Stimulate the student's thinking methodologies by provoking forward thinking questions.

3:: Use positive reinforcement to promote more student participation.

1.Make sure every one get the same amount of time to answer to questions.
2. Try more open questions than close ones.
3. Don't use offensives words against students even when they are not right.

1. Questioning is good to bring the students back from "zone out mode"--even if you ask an easy question it makes those students pay attention (the students who may not be)
2. In larger classes it is best to pick on a specific student and ask a question b/c if you ask it to the group you may not hear the answers
3. Open-ended questions are best because you are not only teaching your students the material, but also critical thinking skills.

Sign In to comment