Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ali,

This is good advice. Many times we are the only cheerleaders for our students and we can help to build their confidence.

Judy Mohammed

Joseph,

In an ideal world, new teachers would be allowed to observe classes. Sometimes, this is not possible and they might be thrown into a class. At these times, they need our best advice.

Judy Mohammed

As a mentor to a new instructor who has never taught before, the first three things I would share about questioning effectively in the classroom would be :
1. When questioning students, ask them open ended questions, since their responses will indicate how well they have understood the content.
2. Allow enough wait time to ensure that the students consider their responses.
3. Use best teaching practices such as reinforcement and praise to encourage positive student behavior, but remember not to over-do it, since the compliments can lose significance and some students will take them for granted.

1. Ask open ended questions so that students can elaborate with their answer
2. After asking a question, give the students time to think about the answer. Not everuone will immediately know the answer
3. If a student is on the right track with answering a question, but some of the information is wrong, keep asking probing questions to lead the student in the right direction(hopefully that will refresh their memory)

I like the idea of basing the questions off of the learning objectives. I would suggest that instructor write questions prior to the lecture that are focused towards the learning objectives. I would then suggest that they use probing questions the delve deeper into the subject matter.

Frederick,

These are great pieces of advice. You also need to explain that there are times when it is good to use closed questions. perhaps during study reviews and when time is short.

Judy Mohammed

Nicole,

This is excellent advice. You may also want to guide them as to when to use closed questions, like during a study review or when time is short.

Judy Mohammed

Alissa,

Very good advice! I always plan questions into my lectures; I even plan appropriate jokes so as to lighten up the class.

Judy Mohammed

In addition to Roberts answers, I would recommend trying to involve more than one student per question. Also, I have found that putting a name plate on each students desk with their name on both sides allows me to take notes and not carry a student roster with me.

I have used a Jeopardy-like game on several occasions and the students always enjoy the game while reinforcing the lesson materials we have covered.

Steven,

This is great. Learning can absolutely be fun.

Judy Mohammed

Steven,

This is a good method for using students names, an important tool in teaching. I usually learn the names quickly so I only use the roster for about two lessons; however I forget the names soon after the class is over.

Judy Mohammed

To help the students as far as probing and redirecting them also asking open ended questions to make them think a little more.

Yashama,

This is true, we want to encourage them to use critical thinking skills with open ended questions.

Judy Mohammed

To ask open ended questions ,To ask probing questions and allow time to answer the questions.

Very good advice - even for a seasoned instructor, these reminders are important.

1. Get to know my students and talk to them about their interest and where they are going with the program over all .
2. Definitely ask open questions .
3. Ask the right questions so the students get the best out of the course you are teaching .

first never show fir in class make up a seating chart so you can call on students for questing make sure your questing pertain to subject for feed back to see how you are doing with the material and last your questioning technique's will get better as you get more conferrable in class

Karen,

This is good advice. When you get to know the students, it becomes easier to get them to speak up in class, especially the shy ones.

Judy Mohammed

Yashama,

Very good advice! It may be a little difficult to use wait time in the beginning.

Judy Mohammed

Sign In to comment