Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lyndsie,
I tend to be a bit dramatic and generally give a lead in that captures their attention and then go into the brainstorming session. For example, I was driving down the road when I saw a deer standing on the shoulder looking like she was going to dart into traffic behind her I saw her fawn as well. The question is what should I do to be safe and hopefully not hit the deer or her fawn. Then we go from there. Students like the cliffhanger kind of lead ins.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As a vocational instructor we are the subject matter experts. Teach the performance skills as outline in the textbook then relate how it applies to the work place. Instructors have to stay current on the skills and procedures use in the field. Student like to know why it is important to know this and how does it apply to the work force. Choose your text book base on context, and the supplemental material provided. Stay abreast of changes in your field and pass them on to your students.

Nick

Nick,
Staying current is a must because you are impacting the future of your students through the content you share with them. It needs to reflect the standards of the field if they are to leave the course with the knowledge and skill set needed to be competitive.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I use relevant clincal case studies. This really helps to make the cocntent relevant

We use facilitated discussion for many topics. For the topic of the class students share experiences in relation to that topic or use a future setting for a topic to show how it is applicable.

Theodore,
I am a big fan of case studies. They help students to see and apply the content that is being offered. This moves the students from being passive to active learners as they are using their problem solving skills to come up with solution to the problem presented in the case study.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Paul,
This is a powerful and engaging learning tool. As you have experienced this format gets the students involved and using the content that has been covered as well as getting them to thinking about future content that is going to be shared.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

By demonstration. My students are MA students and by them leaning through repetitive and demonstrations they with grasp the concept of the lab being taught.

In Our course its all about making the money. I try to show the value of learning the skill and the PROPER way of performing taks with the right tools. This will make the job easier safer and be more productive thus better pay. Just like anything the prep is key . Taking the few minutes to familerize yourself with the task at hand will build confidence and skill.

George,
Good point that students need to realize. They are in school to develop the knowledge and skill needed to be successful and make money. They need to understand that to make money they are going to have to work hard and acquire a skill set that will be profitable to themselves and their employer.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to implement alot of videos into my history class. Especially news that is current. Students hear alot of it on the radio but never really go deep into the subject mater. This gets them engaged and ready for the upcoming lecture

In teaching Audio Engineering, I've found that ALWAYS having some amount of the relevant equipment that we are discussing displayed in the front of the class seems to help the students. Though certain weeks, we may not be getting hands-on with that equipment during the lecture, it seems to help them keep their "eyes on the prize". While discussing the particular ins and outs of a piece of equipment VIA powerpoint, making sure that actual piece of equipment is situated at the front of the room seems to inspire impromptu hands-on demonstrations. After I illustrate a point, a student can ask a question, and then easily walk up to the front of the room and observe on the actual equipment.

Hello Gary,
There is alot of memorization involved in my shiatsu class. I on occasion will telegraph the fact that a certain term or concept will be on an assesment. Sometimes the percentage of students missing that question is still high and I just don't understand why. Can you advise, please. Ken Fisher

Ken,
I have had the same experience with my students with certain things they must memorize for success not only in the course but also in their careers. I use loci learning where I will have them break into groups and if we are learning a list of six applications I put them into six groups. I bring a bag full of colorful markers and sticky backed poster paper. I have each group take one of the items and draw a cartoon, stick figures, anything that will help us remember the item. For example, the last one we worked on had Document as the first step. Group one drew a cartoon of Doc from the Seven Dwarfs added a plus sign drew a big U plus sign and a picture of a mint. Thus DOC + U = Mint. Then they put it up on the wall. Each group did theirs and put them up. Once done I went through and we said out loud what each step was. I left the posters up for two weeks and each time we had class we quickly went through them. At the end of the two weeks, I took the posters down and now all I have to do is point to the blank space on the wall for number 1, students call it out, then two, etc.. This way the students learn the essential information and have some fun with it as well. At the end of the session my students are able to score nearly 100% because we have used visualization, location and repetition to get them to remember key and essential concepts.

Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When we develop a project I will have the student sit back a minute and tell them to reflect and imagine what it is that they want the final outcome be or to preform, have they provided enough information for the project to function or be made properly. Once they have an idea of the final function of the project is, they have an idea of there final goal. Once they know there goal, it has shown that they find it easier to get to the beginning development steps to get to the final develop.

DANIEL,
Good strategy for walking the students through the reflective thinking process and getting them to see how they can make application of what they are being taught while solving problems. Problem solvers are sought by most employers so the more we can help them be such the more valuable they will be when on the job seeking market.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I use the Socratic method for much of my teaching

share personal experience

Great course for me because I am a first time instructor.

Sheri,
Thank you for the kind words. I wish you continued teaching success as you gain experience as an educator and impact the lives of your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment