Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

After the course content has been explained to students, I try to develop real-world examples of why the content is important for the students. This reinforces the importance of why comprehension of the course material is essential and will be useful in their future careers.

I will also ask students of a problem they may have previously encountered and how this course may help them arrive at a better decision. Students that have not been in the same situation are able to relate how their peers have handled this encounter and now...how this course, will improve their decision-making abilty.

Relevant in the class is always a positive way to go.

I play videos for students of competitions or plate ups, provide additional handouts and have them take pics of their work to build professional portfolios

Dave,
What are some strategies you use to show your students the relevancy of the content you are teaching? Thanks for your input on this.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Interesting and difficult, Gary.

I teach English composite in a technical school--med techs, etc....

At entry level, the writing they will do is formal, highly conventionalized--the format clear, easily understood.

By teaching a simple essay format, I try to show them that when they begin to progress in their careers, they will have learned how to communicate comfortably, easily, at higher levels in there respective careers.

Don't know how well this works, but....

Ed W.

Ed,
You raise a good point about relevancy for students. I teach a gen ed required course as well. The students have to pass it to receive their state certification. They view the course as a hurdle to jump, climb over, crawl under or somehow survive and pass. Taking the approach that you do I try to show them how the course content has every day applications and can actually help them in life. Some get it and others just grind through it. Makes me sad with the latter bunch since I enjoy teaching the content a lot and have a lot of fun with my students via the activities we do. So I concentrate on those that are engaged and enjoy my time with them while I am trying to bring along my other group so they see relevancy as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

all course content is covered. i try to inform students wich information i have found most relevant in my field experience

Jason,
Good way to connect the content with the career futures of students. This approach helps to make the content come alive and have value.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Brainstorming-this allows the student to focus on the topic at hand and while providing necessary feedback.

Student's Role
•Prepare for entry into college
•Develop, or begin to develop, awareness of personal, educational, and career goals
•Compile a list of paid or volunteer jobs and note whether they were enjoyable or not
•Make a list of courses or activities and note which were stimulating or boring
•Outline what tasks you enjoyed in your list of courses or activities and what made certain tasks more or less enjoyable
•Gather information about different colleges to select the right school for you
•Attend freshmen orientations to learn more about your school of choice

Drawing comparisons to contemporary (every day examples)items that students have or may encounter in "real life".
JH

Sherral,
This is a great plan for students to follow. This way they know they have made meaningful realistic and informed career choices as it relates to where they are now in their studies.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

JAMES,
The more examples the better. As you have noticed I am sure your students really perk up when they have real life experiences related to them because they help make the content have value to them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have implemented active learning strategies that give the students a break from lectures and gets them involved in the content. One of their favorites is a Jeopardy type game.

Chase,
My students love playing the Jeopardy game. They get competitive very quickly and can't wait until they get to play it the next time. I use it for review prior to tests. A lot of fun plus helps students to see they know more than they think they do.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One method I have incorporated in this area is having the students provide feedback and ask questions.

Often times in a basic studies course (general ed) the students are eager to "get past" the basic stuff and on the technical component of their field of study. I have learned that just mentioning bits of information that will tie the basic knowledge to the technical program, they stay interested and eager to learn.

Having the students do a free writing lesson allows the instructor and the student the opportunity to see if the material can be used efficiently.

Lisa,
I like this exercise because it reduces pressure on students but gives you a clear idea as to where your students are in their skill sets.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Visual aides....I use a variable type of visual aides to help the students better understand the content of the lecture. They include but are not limited to....

The actual item or part the lecture is about

videos

Written articles used as handouts

A mixture of all seem to work best for me.

Sign In to comment