Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jason,
This is a good strategy to use as it helps the students to see that you have both the experience and expertise to be their learning leader while they are enrolled in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I use examples of real-world experiences as related to the topic. If possible I try to add humor to the example.The students seem to remember better when they can relate the topic to a humorous story.

Tammy,
Both of these elements go a long way in helping students to make applications of the content as well as see the relevancy of the examples being shared. Keep up this type of sharing and instructional interaction.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The most important strategy I have used is to try to have the present the course content, including labs, by how they are going to use this in the field. Student want to know how it is done in the field. Some of the best "labs' have been real problems another department is having with their network and having our computer students treat it like it was a client in the field.

Jeff,
Application and relevancy are two very powerful parts of the learning process. The more you can show both the more value students will associate with the content and this increases their motivation levels.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As an instructor for adult learners, one of the goals is to continually apply the course content to real world scenarios. In order for adults to become engaged and put effort into learning they need to know why they are learning something or participating in an activity. Explaining how it is applicable and when and how they will use it is the best course of action in engaging this type of learner.

Jaclyn,
This is such an important part of the teaching/learning process. The more examples you can provide the better because students will then see how applications can be made of the content and skills as well as the relevancy of why certain content is be taught. The more connections between the course content and the real world the students can make the better.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Allow students to role play in group discussion.

My main strategies for keeping course content relevant is to look at current events in the newspaper or online and tie them to the content being taught in my classes.

For example, the recent hacking of iCloud and the broadcast of stars indecent pictures on You Tube. I can easily tie computer security and ethical use of computer technology using this strategy.

Another example I often use is how the use of cell phones and technology has shaped or reshaped the political landscape of our country and overseas.

Landis

Landis,
Great strategies. You field is changing so quickly that it would be a challenge to bring in all of challenges that face computer security and use since it seems that every few days a new issue comes up or a system has been hacked. I think it would be a lot of fun to teach in this field because your students have to be excited to learn how to work in the field and meet some of the challenges head on as part of their career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I definitely have to agree with you. the best labs that I have had is when a car comes in the shop that is broken in the area that you are teaching. The students can immediately see how the course lectures and lab pertain to rear world problems. I also find that our lab units that we take apart for practice also can also do the job, but after the lab units have been apart so many time they should be replaced because of the damage that occurs to them while we are learning on them and because parts usually are missing.

ANTHONY,
To me when situations like this occur it makes teaching so easy since the students get to see the value of the content as it is used to solve the problem that exists with the car. They are doing their own problem solving and growing at the same time in their expertise. A win win for everyone.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Brainstorming is great. However, you need to make sure that you continue to steer the students toward your desired end state. Otherwise, they will continue to throw out ideas, and never hone in on target.

David,
Very good point because it is easy for the students to veer off the topic and forward progress is lost in terms of the purpose for the discussion in the first place.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

What strategies have you implemented for making a course's content relevant and applicable to the learning needs of students?
Producing relevant course content is often developed via engaging future supervisors or seeking the key ideas for the subject that will enable the students mastery of the subject. Depending on the course content, the goal should be to prepare the students to gain mastery of the class content for a successive course or to develop sufficient mastery of the subject to then conduct personal study for future application of their own original ideas.

Since I teach Math, I begin each course with talking about how we can use what we learned in the previous class in the programs my cohorts are in. If it's nursing, we talk about how we use fractions to determine various key measurements and in relation to medicine. Adult learners want to see the value in a class, and making the content relevant is a key way to do that.

Shawn,
The more real world connections you make when teaching a subject like math the better. Your approach shows the students how they are going to use they math they are learning and as a result have a better chance of reaching their career goals. These connections are what help to "sell" your course and the reason they are enrolled to the students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

While some subjects are dull and boring, I like to change the pace and throw an occasional curve ball into the arena. Causing laughter or some other emotion to keep student paying attention. I love to hear laughter and it seems to help my student remember some of the most boring information. At least when they are taking a quiz, they can at some point smile or giggle.

Sheila,
Like your style because it is an effective way to keep the interest of your students. A shared laugh goes a long way in helping students to reset their brains and thinking about what has just been covered in relation to what is going to be covered.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When putting forth a brainstorming session, how do you present the original idea? Does a simple 'if this happens what should you do?' suffice?

Sign In to comment