Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a CDL instructor several strategies can be used. anything from Interstate driving to going to a warehouse.

Aldo,
The more you can help your students see the direct connection between the content and skills being developed the better. By having them practice their Interstate driving as well as getting the vehicle in and out of situations such as a warehouse shows them both application and relevancy.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree, I also found that by asking them a question relevant to the topic before I start lecture and then sharing your own experience. You are helping them learn better when you can show how theory ties to real world experience. The key is to remember to tie the topic to what was shared. It makes it interesting and also others who don’t have experience can hear scenarios.

Hector,
This approach helps students to make a connection between the course content and application. The question gets them to thinking as they settle into the course and prepare to learn that day.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am prone to make my curicullums, with enough leeway in them to allow for the unexpected, this keeps the students interested as they never know what to expect next

@gmeers :I instruct military folks...in fact, I am a retired Air Force officer.  I try to get at what they are dealing with.  It is different now, than when I was in their position.  You have to get where they are, so that as you instruct, you can develop the appropriate way to evaluate them.  I do that by interaction with them each day, and getting them to actively participate.  I work one-on-one witheach student.  It helps me find out where they are.

@gmeers : In teaching the Hospitalilty Supervision Course, I have a project for each team to design a restaurant from the ground up including all of the architectural drawings, business plan, flooring, paint colors, menu, logo, labor and employee training programs, Name and tag line for the restaurant.  These are all great exercises for culinary and pastry students who will be graduating soon because they really get to see, feel and touch what it is like to open a restaurant or bakery and how much planning and money is required to do that successfully.  I think it is so engaging on so many levels - they learn to set tables, fold napkins, write menus, etc.  It covers everything and is so relevant to every part of being a Chef.

Sign In to comment