Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Fortunately, our curriculum is based on the students' chosen careers. Therefore we have lectures, which are relatively short followed by a lab that shows the student why the lecture is so important.

Since I teach Math, I begin each course with talking about how we can use what we learned in the previous class in the programs my cohorts are in. If it's nursing, we talk about how we use fractions to determine various key measurements and in relation to medicine. Adult learners want to see the value in a class, and making the content relevant is a key way to do that.

Sheena,
This is a great setting to be in as your students get content and then make application. This is such a good learning model to be able to use.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Shawn,
Like the way you blend the course from one session to the next for your students. This is how they will be able to grow in the subject area and make applications of the math concepts that you are sharing with them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In the first day of class I ask them whether they are working in the Industry or not (food industry), and that helps me see their level of experience in our specific field. I also inquire about previous professional experience, because a lot of the soft skills I need to teach (organization, timeliness, people handling, customer service, etc.) might come from all kinds of other experiences, and are not to be dismissed. The easier classes (for me) are when the students are on par level with each other, the most challenging ones (and fun) are when I have both end of the spectrum and need to find a way to accommodate for that.

Offer examples of how the material being covered relates to real life situations - i.e. how they will use this information or skill in their future career and why it is so important.

Meg,
The more this can done the better. These examples and connections increase the value of the course content and help students see why they are in the program they are and that they are moving closer to their career as a result of what they are learning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is when it becomes important to remember when you were in school and if you would have understood it. maybe go over the material with someone that is not in the field you are instructing on and see if it sound ok to them

Sarah,
Good suggestion for instructor to remember. By placing yourself in the role of the student you can see where you need to change, modify, or expand instructional components to reinforce the learning process of your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have tied the course content to applications in various fields. It is a challenge to teach a Liberal Arts or General Education course, to students in career focused programs. They don't seem to see the need for well rounded educational programs. By demonstrating the use of critical thinking, and writing prose out of field, I am able to better engage the students.

I try to stay in constant contact with my students about their knowledge and needs.

Since I mostly teaching marketing and advertising course I take a look at the current trends happening in those industries and I speak to and teach to those things. In addition, I allow students to apply their knowledge and skill and let them work with my clients. It's a great experience for everyone involved as the students get to produce work that will be used in the real world and my clients appreciate contributing to the students learning process.

Carlos,
I teach a gen ed course as well and you are right about the challenge of getting career oriented students to see the value of the course. In my case they have to have it to receive their state certification. Your approach is what I use in terms of "selling" my content and making connections between the course and their career choice. When they see that connection they increase their participation and become more engaged but it is an ongoing effort for sure.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Mercedes,
How do you go about getting the information from your students so you can keep current on their knowledge and needs? Thanks for your input on this.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jill,
What a great area to be able to teach in. With things changing as rapidly as they are you are never without current examples that can be shared. Since you are letting them work with your clients they are getting real world experience while still students. This is a great situation for them because they are going to have not only knowledge but also experience to take into the workplace with them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Usually I ask them in the first class to introduce themselves, why they've decided to take my course and what experience they've had in the past that relates to the course. Throughout the course, as I administer quizzes I give bonus questions at the end that ask them what they would like to learn in upcoming workshops or lectures (eg, "What would you like to learn about in the upcoming Final Cut Pro editing workshop?"). I find this helps me ensure I'm touching on information that is beneficial to their learning, and not repetitive.

Mercedes,
This is a great approach because it is student centered, in that you are using their input to shape how you are going to add additional content in the course. By building on their life experiences you are giving value to them as individuals and they will respect you for this. With respect earned you and your students will move to the development of rapport between and among yourselves and this is where expanded learning will occur.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I give frequent reminders about the value of the content or how will this information or learning this skill help the student in their career. I add verbal cues to my lecture, such as, "this is important," or "make sure you understand this concept."

Laura,
Good reinforces because you are sending signals to your students in terms of how important the content is to the field and why they need to learn it. These cues will help them in note taking as well as focus them on what they need to study when tests are given.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Yes. Both are key when trying to understand new concepts.

Sign In to comment