Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You need to have the student think positive about the class so they come to class on time and are excited to participate.

You never have a second chance to make a first impression. The first impression that the students have of you is the one that they will carry with them. It is important to make a positive first impression in order to instill confidence in you as an instructor.

Bobbi,
This is an important part of the teaching process. Setting a positive tone for the class and giving students opportunities to connect their previous life experiences with the content being offered will help them to see the value of being in attendance and contributing to the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is incredibly important to set the tone for the class in the first meeting.

Starting off with a lot of energy and making a positive impression on the students will make your job much easier throughout teaching the course. I find that many students will mirror your professionalism and enthusiasm.

If you can start them off excited about the course material, throughout the class you will not have to work as hard to engage all of the students because they will be engaging each other with their participation.

Eric,
Bringing passion for one's field and enthusiasm for teaching about it goes a long way in setting a positive tone for students. You are right in that you need to get them right out of the chute in terms of setting the tone for the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Making a good first impression puts the students at ease. They are most likely nervous about what to expect in the course and of their teacher. If you come across as a mean person, then the student well be less likely to engage or they may even drop the class.

it sets the tone between you and the students. you want them to willingly accept the literature and experience you can provide towards the goals you've set.

Joanne,
The first few minutes of the course are so important. This is why doing an ice breaker and introductions helps the students to settle in and get comfortable while you are getting a "read" on the enrollees.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

On the first day of class, I always introduce myself and give a background about myself. I also go around the room and ask each and every student to introduce themselves and I also ask them questions about their lives. I find that these introductions are a great ice breaker and it shows that I have interest in both their academics and their personal interests. It makes the students feel comfortable and welcome and leaves a good first impression on the students

making a Positive first impressions on students is vital to the students success. The students need to feel comfortable in the instructors ability to teach the class. Instructor should always show up on time to class and have the lesions prepared. This will set the tone and set example for the students success to always be on time to their profession and be prepared for the days work.

A positive first impression is very important because the average person always remember their first impression rather it is good or bad. So it will benefit the instructor as well as the student to have a positive
first impression so it will allow room for the relations between the instructor and student to grow fundamentally.

A positive first impression means so much in the teaching environment. If students feel intimidated, uncomfortable, or in any way compromised - they will shut down to what the teacher has to offer. Just as with every situation in life, a positive first impression is everything! An experienced teacher will always strive to create that positive environment on day 1 and throughout.

You only get one chance to make a positive first impression. If you arrive late, unprepared, the classroom is a mess, etc. it sets an improper stage for learning.

You are setting the tone for the whole course. It is important to be very positive and upbeat, so that your enthusiasm for the subject matter and their learning becomes infectious.

Crystal,
The first impression is the foundation upon which your status as a learning leader is built. You are right on with your comments about it needing to be a good one. This is how you start to earn the respect of your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Impression formation can mean a lot when it comes to the first class. Research shows that when people meet they will tend to remember that first impression when they meet in the future. In other words, a class will remember the first class when approaching other classes. If the instructor makes a good impression the students will tend to remember that even if the instructor has a bad class in the future. The students will likely feel the instructor is just having a poor class. The opposite is also true. If an instructor has a poor first class for whatever reason, the students will tend to remember that first impression even though the instructor has better days.

What are some effective ways that you acknowledge your students?

John,
Thank you for these comments about making a positive first impression. Your description of the value of a good first impression is right on target in that it will yield benefits for the duration of the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

John,
One is to be early to class and sharing a supportive word with students as they come into class. You can compliment students individually for their work, questions, contributions, etc.. This is a powerful way to motivate them. Another is to recognize their effort via a personal message on their projects or evaluations. Receiving these comments helps them to see that they are progressing in the course and are being successful.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Well, it sets the tone for the class ambience and sets your position in the eyes of the students as a person who is approachable, professional, trust worthy, and knowledgable. Also shows them what demeanor you expect from them.

Sign In to comment