Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the kitchen/lab setting that I teach in, it is very important that I present a confident and strong personality to lead the kitchen. I give a detailed tour of the kitchen to familiarize them with the lab and then give them a group activity to help them settle in. I then speak to them as a group and have them introduce themselves.

If we do not present ourselves in a manner that gives the students a positive first impression of us, we are setting up our class so that the students will be in control. The first class will set the pace for the rest of the course.

During the first class, there may be students who try to challenge the instructor. These students are the ones that are used to being in-charge and they typically want the other students to know it. If we back down from these challenging students, the other students may feel that we are not the authority on the topic. On the flip side though, if we come across too strict we may drive students away thinking that they won't be able to meet our standards.

Good instructors are able to find the right mix of letting students control portions of class and keeping class under control.

Making a positive first impression is important when starting a new class. It allows for you as the instructor, and the students in your course to get off on the right foot. People never forget a first impression. You are going to be spending a lot of time with your students and you want them to understand who you are as a person outside of being an instructor. With a positive first impression you are also making yourself approachable and available to students who may need help later on in the semester or term.

I believe you cannot change anyone's first impression. If you do not start off with a positive first impression, that will set the tone for the rest of the learning time & the student will be the one that twill suffer because of not being positive.

A positive first impression is a key for students to also feel secure knowing they have a great instructor and will also help students feel less nervous. A bad impression will have your students questioning your methods that you bring

Aldo,
Right you are about the value of a positive first impression. It is the foundation upon which the rest of the course is built.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I feel the students have a positive impression of their instructor and a welcoming impression.

Positive first impressions are the most lasting impressions. If a positive attitude ans professional appearance provide students with a good role model.

A positive first impression is of great importance when starting a new class, mostly because it sets the standards in which your students view you. If you come in the classroom, right as it is starting in a hurry and look sloppy. The students will not validate your professionalism and think that they have nothing to learn from you, because you do not take pride in your profession or field. Students observe and mimic our behavior. Having a poor first impression belittles the instructor in the eyes of the student and make cause the development of a negative instructor-student relationship as well a poor learning environment.

Keondra,
So true in terms of building a solid foundation for the course to build upon. This is why we need to plan carefully for our first class meeting.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students decide on the content and the delivery for a class. The first impression allows them to decided if you're the one they want to take the class from or if they can get away with things from you.

A positive first impression sets the tone for the rest of the class. I generally wear business attire on all class days, but particularly on the first day. I want to send the message that I take both the students and myself seriously.

I introduce myself to the class and ask each student to introduce themselves to the class also. I usually ask each student a question or two after their introduction, to convey my personal interest in them, and to begin what I hope will become a dialog.

It is important to have a positive first impression with a new class because it sets the tone for how the rest of the course will go. If the students perceive you as calm and at ease, they may relax a little and it may alleviate some of their anxiety related to that class, and vice versa.

Need to make a great first impression since you are their mentor, they follow by example

A positive first impression lets students know you are a professional and it helps to earn respect in the classroom. It shows you respect them and their time as students as well as people.

If you make a positive first impression the rest of the days will go easier because the students will feel comfortable and want to learn. Without a good impression, students can test you and make it hard to teach.

Alisha,
Good point because as the learning leader it is up to you to make a good first impression and then move the class forward in the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe a positive first impression is important because it allows the students to have confidence in you as the instructor.

Very often a first impression is a lasting impression. It sets the tone for how the rest of the course will unfold for individual students or the class as a whole. Enthusiasm (or lack thereof) is infectious. If you can demonstrate and expose the students to your enthusiasm for the class content on that first day, you can often spark interest and enthusiasm in others. However, there can be a fine line between sharing your enthusiasm and overwhelming students with too much enthusiasm! It goes back to the modeling, managing and motivating factors that were identified in earlier modules. Sometimes we only get one shot at generating that "this is going to be a great class" impression, and that first interaction with students' can create the right combination of involvement, excitement and motivation that will make students' want to learn and look forward to coming back to class ready to take on the challenges and opportunities that are offered, rather than dreading what lies ahead.

Positive first impressions are important because you gain your trust from your students, it motivates and excites them for the upcoming courses. You are starting on the right path to success. First impressions can make or break a person.

Sign In to comment