Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe a first impression is important to the start of a new class because it sets the foundation and tone of the success for the class.

Ashlie,
So true. The first impression is the foundation upon which the rest of the course is built so it needs to be a good one.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I'm a firm believer that first impressions always set the tone for respect and attentiveness.

You onlu really get one chance to make that first impression, that is why its important to do it right the very first time you walk into your fist day of class. You want to be able to set the tone in class and make sure all students get a good feel of the instructor and what to expect throughtout the term.

Because a first impression is usually all you get to make - most people decide whether or not they like or dislike someone or something withing a matter of seconds. A bad first impression is very hard to change and will set the tone for the rest of the course. We all say "don't judge a book by its cover" yet we all do. Showing you are professional and passionate will go a long way versus being late and unprepared.

It is imperative to make a good first impression to enable the students t o "buy into" the class and thus be more success. First impressions are lasting impressions and set the tone for both individual and class academic success. Negative impressions have the opposite impact on student engagement and success.

So the new students can get to know you are a person that cares about there needs.

I personally feel that a positive first impression is very important when starting a new class because it is the solid foundation of which the class is built upon! That is why you have to be prepared because you only have one chance to make a good first impression.

Dressing the part and presenting in a clean and professional manner is key in establising a first impression with a new class. Students will likely feel uncomfortable with a shabby, unclean instructor and confidence in teaching ability may be unfairly affected.

Sign In to comment