Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Juno,
Yes it does and this is why it is so important to be prepared and ready to start the new course off in a positive way.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We only have once chance to make a first impression. The first day we meet our class, both the instructor and the students are anxious about what to expect.

It is our job as the leaders of the classroom to channel all this energy into something productive. I believe one most be prepared to accommodate different personalities and styles of learning with our class syllabus. I'm always confident when addressing the class and presenting what I expect them to do/learn during our time together. Also, I try to engage them into what do THEY expect from this class. Always making the classroom environment approachable and safe for the students so the classes feel more like a conversation and debate between my students and myself instead of a long winged monologue, where most of the times, we loose they attention.

LAURA,
Like the way you open a new course. A positive first impression forms the foundation upon which the rest of the course is built so it needs to be a good one. By letting the students know it is up to them in terms of their outcomes and that they are in control of their success you are establishing accountability from the first meeting. That is a good impression for them to leave the class with.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

First impressions are important as it sets the tone for the term. This is especially important in 10 week or shorter terms. The faster the instructor builds a good relationship with the student's the easier it is to dive into the course content. Student's talk amongst each other and immediately an instructor has a reputation. Instructor's need to set a good impression so it will enable them to have a smooth running term as well as build positive energy for the duration of the course.

Gabriel,
You make a good point about the value of making a good impression. Yes students do talk and share their perspective in relation to how they see you as an instructor. This is why instructors need to always model professional behavior, dress, language and conduct so they will be perceived as being dedicated learning leaders.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Making a good first impression will set the standard for the class. Students will gain respect for the instructor and take their learning seriously.

Next Monday will be my very first - first class. It will be the first time I get to make a first impression on a class of students I'm teaching. Making this meeting a positive experience seems to be one of the most important parts of instructing this course successfully. My class meets four nights a week for five hours each meeting. Therefore, I will have a lot to go over that first night. I hope that my comprehensive planning and detailed checklist, that I've been working so hard on, don't become my only focus. I need to make sure I remember that I am a human and not just some robot conveying information. I've observed and read that the combination of teaching and being the person you are is what leaves the best impressions (it also creates a great learning environment). If I can accomplish this the first night it will hopefully set the tone and direction for the remainder of our classes.

It sets the tone for the entire course. It will make the students confident in what they can learn from you and allow them to see you as the class expert and leader.

Heather,
I wish you much success with your first class meeting. It is going to go well I can tell from your comments because you have planned well and understand your role as a learning leader, model and human being. Relax with your students and have fun with the introductions and an ice breaker. When these two items are completed you will be surprised at how comfortable you feel and you will be ready to move on to the course requirements.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Dawn,
Good point and this is why it is so important to have a good first impression. It is the foundation upon which the course builds.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

A positive firt day impression sets both the instructor and students at ease. Students may respect how the instructor presents him/herself in dress and manner. This can set the tone for the students to follow, at least in behavior.

Your first impression that you give to your class will tell how the class will proceed. If you go in late and haphardly the class will feel that you do no want to be there. Or that you are going to be sloppy in the work they are going to learn. Going in there with knowledge and making a good impression will help put them at ease that you know what you are talking about. If you give students that positive first impression they feel valued and when they need to talk with you they are not going to feel like they are second class citizens, you will give them good feedback.

There are a lot of answers to this question but I think most of all you want the students to have a positive experience and you want them to be happy to come to class every day. You have to give them a reason to want to keep on.

Debra,
You make a key point about setting up the class in a way that will capture their interest and get them wanting to keep coming to class. This takes some planning and effort but it is worth it when you see that the students get it and are moving forward in their career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Appearance wise, I might intimodate older students having had "old school" experiences; as soon as I start talking, all that changes!

I think that it sets the tone for the class where they make up their mind pretty quickly about me as an instructor.

This semester, I began my very first class ever by showing up early, only to realize that I did not have the materials provided from the institution as I expected. As I scrambled to get everything prepped, I ended up being late to class and a bit frantic.

The class wasn't a complete train wreck, but afterwards, I saw how I could have prepared better by making sure I had all that I needed the day before rather than 20 minutes before class.

Vern,
What are some examples you use to start your course off on the right foot?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Scott,
Thank you for sharing this example because as it illustrates the first impression does make a major difference in how the students perceive the course and instructor. Based upon your experience I am guessing that this will never occur again and your future students will benefit from your planning and early arrival.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

You only have one chance to make a first impression!
Developing a positive, mutually respectful relationship is crucial in creating a successful teaching/learning environment. Students assess their instructors at least as much as we assess them. If we fail to earn their respect, we will be playing catch up for the duration of the class. Success will be difficult at best.

I find it a great opportunity to talk about where I have come from professionally and stressing that you'll never know when math will be needed in your life. With a few activities to get to know each other, first impressions can develop rapport immediately.

Scott

Sign In to comment