Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Valarie,
Yes it does. This is the beginning of a new working relationship so everyone is trying to size up everyone else and determine how the course is going to go. A positive first impression helps "sell" the class to them and they can then start to settle into and get comfortable with their new instructor.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like your comparison of making a first impression to winning the first game of the season. I personally like to embark on professional endeavors with a similar mindset that I would have in sports. A good first impression sets the tone for the rest of the season and future endeavors.

The saying goes, "You only get one chance to make a first impression."
With that first impression, the standards of expectation and the belief in their own chance of success are pretty much set by the students.
The first impression made by an instructor provides the opportunity for the students to buy in to acknowledging that they are either going to be or not going to be successful in the class with you as their instructor.

William,
You make a very good point and one we need to remember as we prepare to start a new class and get everyone engaged.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Making a positive first impression allows not only you to set yourself up for success but, also the students. It is a way for them to start respecting you and seeing classroom standards.

Peggy,
Right you are. Starting the development of two way respect goes a long way in setting the stage for a beneficial class for students. A positive first impression is the foundation upon which the rest of the class is built.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Making a good first impression is going to tell my students who I am and what I'm about. It will also dictate how comfortable they are with me for the rest of the course. I have made poor first impressions before. It's not easy to rebuild that relationship.

As the old adage states, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." I believe this is true in any environment, including the classroom. You only have one shot at the title; either your first impression will be favorable and memorable, or painful and memorable. All instructors should try to avoid the latter. Instructors should strive to create a professional yet exciting learning environment for all.

Yes, attitude definitely reflects leadership. We each should model what the student ultimately wants to become.

Wear appropriate clothing, prepare lesson, lay out lab supplies and equipment, talk with students, and start class on time

There are so many reasons that making a good first impression is important that it's hard to know where to start with articulating the concept. The first thing that came to mind was the "gang up" effect that can happen in a classroom.

We have all seen it happen before. A perfectly good (and often great/well seasoned) instructor encounters a nightmare class because of one student who is very, very vocal about him or her. It only takes one student to start a near riot of dissatisfaction that can last a full session/term/semester.

Likewise, it only takes one student to say, "I like her/him" in order to sway the entire class to a positive impression. And, this is where the concept of the first impression has the longest lasting impact.

I think of it as winning just one student at a time. If I can make a quick connection with a student - just one at a time - I can increase my chances that he or she will be my advocate. What's the easiest way to do that? In my opinion, the fastest and easiest way is to show that I live by my life motto: to seek first to understand.

From here, we have a lot of ways to go. Questions like - what do you hope to get out of this class? or what are your concerns about this course? can set students at ease and allow the impression that their opinions count. Adult learners want to know that they are heard, understood, and credited for the experience that they bring in the door.

So, to make a good first - and lasting! - impression, my technique is to engage just one at at time and to allow all voices to be heard.

Kale,
This is a critical time and this first impression time is the foundation upon which the course is going to build. So by having a comfortable and engaging first class the students get settled in and are ready for the rest of the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sheniqua,
This is an essential element of being a learning leader. We are a model for both our field as well as our field education. We need to always make sure we are modeling dress, language, and conduct that reflects the highest standards of our field.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Reinaldo,
This is how a positive first impression is made and rapport developed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Kareme,
Like the way you approach your students and your classes. It is upon a foundation such as you are creating that learning occurs. The human factor in teaching is what engages students and helps them to see the value associated with what is being taught.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Many times I preface the introductions by indicating we are in this together for the next x amount of weeks, I am here to help and each of you will find the discussion(s), labs, and lines of communication to be rewarding. Each of you will build a relationship with the instructor as well as many of your classmates. In business, colleague development and sharing of ideas is critical to the success and continued progress of an organization.

Making a good first impression is the best way to start and create a good atmosphere of security to our students.

Claudia,
A good first impression is the foundation upon which the rest of the course is built. This is why it is so important to plan well for the first class meeting.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Establishing trust and a sense of mutual goals has been very successful for me with my students.

Kim,
Great way to start off a new course. This is how respect is earned and rapport developed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment