Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I begin by acknowledging that they might not like the particular subject I am teaching. After this acknowledgement, I then try to reassure them that they are indeed, capable of learning the subject. I express to them to keep an open mind and to let any negative thoughts go away. If they can approach my subject with optimism, they will find success. Using this approach at the beginning of each course, I end up basically challenging those who think they are not going to be "good" at my subject. If they buy into this challenge and listen to my advice and prepare fully for my lessons, they will see very quickly that they can be successful. I have had great success with this approach over the years and find joy when the students catch themselves being successful. I add my enthusiasm into each lesson as well, continuing to acknowledge that they might not care for my subject, however, it is necessary that you succeed in it to obtain your degree. Honestly, I believe my acknowledgment of their opinion (of the subject matter) means a lot to the student because they know I am listening and not judging their thoughts.
By the way, I am a math teacher.

Lynne,
Like your approach and I do understand the challenges you face to get your students to buy into the course. I teach a required course that the students for the most part do not see any value in. It is my task each session to convince that that the course has value and application to their future. Doing as you are doing I am able to get them engaged and then the learning really takes off.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One of the best ways that I have found to motivate my students is through a combination of explaining the concept and then showing them how to apply it. While we get some students that will be able to make this connection on their own, a lot of students struggle with the "Why do I have to take this course?" mentality. I have found that getting the students to practice and/or apply what they are learning in their everyday lives has increased student attentiveness in the classroom.

I try to inspire them with anecdotes about my past experience's as a chef/owner and how gratifying it is to please customers as well as staff. I try to convey to them the rewards that you receive when you cook for people and they are happy.

One way that I use to motivate my students is to give them a goal at the beginning of the course that seems impossible and then show them the tools they can use to meet and even exceed that goal.

I teach computer programming. The first programming course is usually and necessarily dry. Learning the syntax and concepts of simple, console programs isn't sexy but is obviously vital. It quickly becomes boring for most students. Sure, they can make their computer do their bidding, but it's not terribly impressive. What they want is something they can show to their parents or friends and get that "Wow!" reaction.

So, on the first day of the second course, I give them that seemingly impossible project. Something like an mp3 music player application. They immediately think of their favorite player and how they could improve it--they don't know how to begin, but they are excited at the possibility.

And so, over the next several weeks I introduce them to the tools they need to make real-world applications: GUIs, third-party libraries, data structures and algorithms. etc. By the end of the course, they have successfully created a real mp3 music player, something tangible and impressive to both themselves and their peers.

I believe the course hit the nail on the head with the second Harvard video in this lesson. It is the attitude the instructor brings to class. As an instructor if you do not enjoy teaching the students are not going to enjoy learning. I find the only way you can enjoy teaching is if you love your topic of study. Students pick up on this very quickly and in my opinion it will make or break you as an instructor. So, I guess my answer to this question is the instructor must be passionate about teaching and have a love for the material being taught.

Joshua,
Well said. Students do know if we have passion for our field and enthusiasm for teaching it. We bring both and we have set the stage for learning to occur.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Passion for your field, that is the most important thing. If you are not passionate about your career, how can you share your knowledge and skills with others?

Loving your job, what you do everyday is contagious, students know this and they want to share and have that same passion.

Meri,
So true and so important. Passion and enthusiasm both go a long way in getting students excited about the content and how it can be applied to their career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to put enthusiasm for my profession and subject-matter in each lecture. I teach mostly at night and students are often tired from work and other things, so they are a bit sluggish. I try to charge their energy levels with my energy and enthusiasm. I teach them the basics first, then we will care for a patient virtually or in the simulation lab. I then reward them with the knowledge that they sucessfully just cared for a patient using the skills and concepts that they just learned in the classroom. This enablest the students to bridge their knowledge and motivated them to continue to learn and that the content that they have just learned it relevant to their career path and future.
I find that when we exemplify the traits that we want to see in students that they are more than likely to demonstrate these characteristics back. I think practical application is essential for adult learners, it not only bridges the gap between academia and concrete usuage of knowledge, but it also validates the learning process.

I always try to get my students involved in the teaching plan. I allow them to work out problems on the board, help other students, and read some sections aloud. This way they feel like their an actual part of the team.

Along with you Katherine, I make myself available outside of class for tutoring. And tutors are also available through the school. I find that students that take advantage of these sessions show a marked improvement in their work. I also find that former students spread the word to current students that such help is worthwhile. My challenge is to motivate those students who need such help to take advantage of it.

I help my students become motivated and excited about my courses, because I am genuinely and naturally excited about the courses that I teach. So it simply happens naturally that the students (if willing) develop a passion for the subjects I teach. However, I am sure that there will be instances where I will instruct a course that does not motivate me, in that case, I will find some aspect of the course that I can identify with, if not, I will try to create an exciting and motivating educational experience with the subject matter,i.e. create a jeopardy game, or find a way to draw a connection between the subject matter to current and relevant events. It's just my nature to view "the cup half full".

I believe you can motivate and get your students excited in the course by showing passion and excitement in what you are teaching them. Example your tone of voice. Get your students involved, ask them questions, hands on interactions. Give examples of situations dealing with the topic being discussed.

I like to incorporate real word examples into my lessons as a way of motivation learners. I also like to keep class very up beat and positive as a way of also keeping students motivated.

Ashlie,
Right you are about getting students engaged through the displaying of your passion for your field and then bringing enthusiasm for teaching about it. This is a win win combination for your students and yourself as the learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think bringing energy and excitement about the material being covered will help motivate students. Also I think if the students are able to see how the class can be applied outside of the class, they are more interested in the material covered.

i agree with Scott, if there is no passion or "fire" the students are not going to be motivated. I believe with most instructors we bring the years of experience to the table along with the passion to instruct to gain the motivation of our students.

As professionals,We need to encourage our students in their chosen career and support them, by being an inspiration, being available to listen to them and be their cheer leaders as they progress in their program.

To help students to become motivated I usually engage them during class lectures. This technique focuses on an interactive process of learning where not only it forces students to read class materials but also to help them focus on current events.

Sign In to comment