Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have come to a bitter-sweet realization when considering motivation. It seems to me that students can often times be motivated by their affinity for the instructor. So, the relationship between the instructor and the perception of the instructor from the students' point of view can influence student motivation. If they perceive the instructor as admirable, open, reasonable, approachable, and etc. they are more likely to strive to succeed. This is sweet because we can use our abilities to cultivate good relationships and bitter because if we fail to do so we can influence students in a negative sense. The key is to maintain that drive when the students struggle or do poorly on a test or assignment. To have support from the instructor and encouragement can boost confidence and motivation. This can help a student who feels that the course is 'out to get them'.

Christopher,
You make a very good point about the connection between motivation and an instructor. It is true if students respect and have rapport with their instructor they will strive to be successful for that instructor. So we need to remember this as we approach our classrooms and make connections with our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Without question, motivation is the key to ACTION. In this course I was reminded early that the classroom is NOT about teaching, but LEARNING. Motivation "primes" that learning engine. One technique I have successfully used (with adult learners) in the past is to distribute a simple one page motivational story that we discuss prior to the instructional component. I also find a simple "prop" (for example, a peanut for my "elephant story")that the students take with them as a reminder of the message. By working hard to find a message that motivationally "bridges" over to the learning portion of the classroom time, it creates the perfect warm-up to the necessary environment for a comfortable exchange of ideas. (They become classroom "educational ice-breakers"!) Try it - you'll see its effectiveness immediately.

Richard,
Thank you for sharing this strategy with us. It is a winner and as you say gives results immediately. These types of ice breakers gets students ramped up and excited about what they are going to learn and then it forward progress from there.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

For a teacher, I believe one of the best methods for motivating learners is to "love" oneself and the discipline taught. Excitement about the material and how it improved the lives of others and the professor can demonstrate how it can improve the life of the student.

Matthew,
So true. Passion for the content and enthusiasm for teaching it sets the tone for a positive class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also try hard to pull in my student's expertise (as self enthusiasm) into a discussion. By allowing them to "be the expert" and share their ways that worked well, everyone benefits.

Karen,
I think this is such an important part of being an effective instructor. You are using their backgrounds and experienced to support the learning process. This helps them to become invested in the learning process and see the value of making contributions.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Passion and enthusiasm set the tone for a positive class. In my field 90% of what I teach is hands on. So encouragement plays a huge role in motivating my students to achieve the set goals.

The courses I teach are important in their career choice. I relate the information taught in the course to the work place. This helps them see how relevate the information is and think about how they would react, direct or instruct.

We need to be motivated as instructors about our subject, especially in Gen Ed. I'm trying to make Algebra as practical as possible, but two of the most practical topics--word problems and graphing--seem to be two of the most hated topics in all of math. The showing of examples helps the most.

give them hands on experience with the related topic I.E. trouble shooting bad electrical componets have them test a real one

Greg,
Good points about how we present ourselves to our students. If we are not passionate about our content nor excited about teaching then we are going to have challenges from our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Krystal,
The more connections you can make between the work place and the course content the more value your students will associate with the course. This increases their engagement as well as excitement for what is being taught.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

MALCOLM,
Tough area to teach as you well know. I teach a gen ed course as well so I can appreciate what you are facing. Your use of examples and applications are a good way to encourage engagement in a subject that many students are fearful about.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

James,
This is what application learning should be about. The development of critical thinking and problem solving is important for students to acquire as they prepare to enter their career areas.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to make sure that the lessons and projects that are planned for the course are practical for real world environments. When I can I allow the students to choose a topic of their choice for projects as long as it falls within the scope of the course and meets the criteria for the lesson. I feel that this often helps because they can choose a topic or project that they are most interested in.

Rosa,
This approach enables the student to connect with the content in a personal way. This is a good strategy to follow as it engages the students as well as helps them to make application of the content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Instructors need to be passionate and knowledgeable on the material they are teaching. Understanding that the students may not be as passionate about the course content, but finding ways to deliver the material making it as applicable for the students as possible.

Rebecca,
You have captured two of the essentials for teaching success. Passion for the content being delivered and enthusiasm for teaching.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment