Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You can either bring in a former student who doubted themself when they were a student, or describe your own personal triumphs during training courses. In addition, you can give then positive reinforcement everytime you see them doing something good and/or in the correct manner.

Colleen,
These two methods are great for bringing to life the value of the course that is being offered in relation to the career development of students. The students get to hear from someone how the course content helped them to move toward their career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The level of control a student has, or perceives that s/he has, seems to be correlated with level of achievement. Using rubrics is one way to help students feel more in control of their learning environment.

Kat,
I use rubrics in all of assignments for the reason you mention. It is key that students see where they have had success and where they need to strive for improvement. A rubric is an easy way to zero in on the different aspects of an assignment as well quiz to help students to see challenge areas.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I completely agree. I notice when the students engage with each other, it not only reinforces the subject matter, but it also helps to engage other students who are less likely to initiate in the classroom.

I'm finding that the students in my class are more motivated now that my creative side has been reawakened! This is my first experience in teaching adults, and I'm finding that the more I change up my delivery methods with activities and learning games, the more engaged they are becoming. One clue that they are enjoying the class is that overall attendance is higher, and there are fewer incidences of late arrivals and early departures. Several of the activities I am using can be found in other courses through this program.

Ruth,
Thank you for sharing your teaching experiences with us. This is good information for other instructors to have as they do their instructional planning. Change of pace and variety in delivery go a long way in keeping adults engaged. You are seeing that with increased attendance and more student involvement.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Have excitement about the course and topics being discussed. Give examples of how topics being discussed are used in the work field. Allow student participation either by themselves or in a group. praise students for good work and effort.

I teach Gen Ed English to students who intend to make careers in the music business. Relevance is particularly important, I feel. I try to focus all our writing assignments in areas that will be of particular use and interest - from job application letters and resumes, through bios, artist statements and reviews, to song lyrics and their relationship with the wider world of literature and creativity. I am a poet so the latter is my favorite thing! I also favor portfolio assessment alongside more traditional exams and quizzes. The portfolio allows students to have themes and threads - their own choice - run through most of the work they produce for the class. I encourage them to be creative in weaving together the threads they choose to follow, and in the process, I learn more about them and their interests. They enjoy introducing me to new music, too.

Jude,
I support your use of portfolio assessments. I think they are much more reflective of what has been learned and if the student know how to use the new information and/or skill. Functional assessment targets individual growth and shows where additional time needs to be spent to expand the learning base of students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We can all become motivated just by looking at our current situations. We are given a golden opportunity to impact people and change lives. We can motivate by being on time, asking questions, seeming concern about others that may have a hard time learning. We can also motivate by teaching in different styles because some people learn different from others such as oral, visual and examples of association. We have to look at this from a different point of view because we all were student before and different teachers impacted us differently. We also need to make learning fun and not just the same old boring techniques day in and day out.

I teach in a technical college that prepares student for the workforce immediately after graduation. I motivate my students by relating the subject to their everyday lives now or the job that they are going into. Once students start imagining themselves in their prospective positions, it motivates them to actively participate and ask questions.

I believe a motivating factor for students is the enthusiasm and passion demonstrated while teaching the subject matter. Students and sense the thrill and excitement in the message you deliver. Sharing actual examples is another way to engage and motivate the student.

MARIBEL,
Passion and enthusiasm are both essential elements needed for instructional as well as student success. Your points are about them are right on target because as you know excitement is catching and that is what you need to spread as you deliver your content and expectations to your students. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When I look back at past instuctors I have had, it is the individuals with passion for teaching that have stood out and made a lasting impression. Some instructors are able to present new material in a way that makes you, as a student, wanting to know more. Their method of delivery entices the student to seek more.

Terry,
It is good you have instructors in your past that you recall and use as models as you develop your own instructional style. This is how you will be able to find the style that works best for you and your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students will become motivated nad excited about the course if the instructor shows them the progress they are making toward their career goals.

Maya,
Yes, they will. This is how they connect with their courses and see the value of being in school.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

To increase student motivation experiment with increasing student autonomy by offering choice in several aspects of the course. You can begin with choices that are simple to implement like allowing them to decide the due dates of assignments (with reason). Another simple way to implement choice is to allow students to decide the order of completion of assignments. If this results in success, you can include more options or choice like allowing students to pick between several assignment options to complete. Allowing student choice, creates a more constructive environment and results in students being more invested in their work.

Involve students in the course topic. Prepare them to lead a class discussion. Help them draw in other students to the discussion. Provide methods for positive and rewarding outcome.

Sign In to comment