Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Jason:
PPT, especially when used as you described, can be a very effective and versatile tool. I think well constructed slide presentations add just enough variety to help keep student interest while not overshadowing the focus of the lesson.

Regards, Barry

I like relating lessons to my personal experience and often tell of my mistakes as well as successes.
I like using PPT as a graphical representation of the subject matter but dislike it when it gets text heavy.
I also can't stand just rehashing what is in the book in front of them and that just looses their interest any way.
Since we cannot change the PPT, I commonly just turn it off to modify my presentation to the level of the current class I have.
I use training aids and drawings along with VERY animated explanations to make my point and keep things exciting.

Hi Jeff:
Personal experiences can often demonstrate an important point as well as a very comprehensive lecture. Good Job!

Regards, Barry

Students involed with what they are learning which they tend to remember for one. Power point is helpful for this class since information can be shown to assist in learing. To a point no pun intended.
Least liked..or least effective I think is just asking questions, power point is helpful as I said at the same time it can bore students.

Hi Dean:
Thanks for sharing. You have expereince with the tools that work best for you.

Regards, Barry

Using a combination of humor and field experience.I like to add on to the powerpoint with examples I've experienced in the field and real world stories in the field.

Hi Frank:
These stories will probably be remembered as much as the underlying lesson associated with it. People like stories I think in part because they can relate to the situations or circumstances or persons involved. Good adjunct for your PPT's.

Regards, Barry

The two delivery methods I found to be most effective to be are the use of the Whiteboard and Power point. I enjoy projecting the Power point over the Whiteboard and writing on it. I found it helps the students keep focus on the material we are discussing and allows me to add any other notes I feel are relevant.
The delivery method I found doesn’t work for me are Flip charts. I like having something I can erase real easy. I also do not like the fact that I have to toss out a bunch of paper at the end of the day. The whiteboard is a lot neater and environmentally friendly.

Text books, video, power point, handouts are useful media but need the management of an instructor to be successful.Instructors can utililize these tools to stress the point of the lesson.

Hi Leonardo:
Good thoughts. I've found there may be a glare that's distracting, even disturbing to some student if they're getting the full blast of the LCD projector glare. But the conceot is great.

Regards, Barry

Successful
One of the best delivery methods that works for me is open ended questions with directed responses from selected students, and each student is aware that they may be the next person called on. This keeps them attentive and participating in the learning exercise.

A second is letting a student explain to the class a certain topic, as they say when you teach you learn the most, and it gives the other student a change of state. It is amazing what we can learn from our students.....

Less successful"
1. Powerpoint that is just a slide show, no interaction points. Very boring
2. Straight lecture with no interaction with the students. Doing this it is hard to tell if they understand the material.

Hi Peter:
Yes, we all might have access to a variety of resources and instructional tools, but they require a successful "driver behind the wheel" for effective instruction to occur.

Regards, Barry

Hi Jim:
Good thoughts. Engaging a student in discussion is a great way to stimulate critical thinking. Depending how it's framed, it can be fun and enjoyable too. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Barry

I don't like/dislike any delivery method more or less than the other, it depends on what you are teaching and to whom! very technical materiel needs to be broken up and is best delivered using multiple methods; i.e., visually (power point), audible (lecture), and hands on lab. I guess my favorite then just the imparting of knowledge to the student and least favorite is when you have tried everything and the student just does'nt get it. That is the challenge to us all.

Hi James:
Great post. I think you've captured the essence of what many if not not most good instructors experience. Thanks!

Regards, Barry

The most success I have is being firm but fair with humor also keeping the students engaged. The least method is being militant.

Hi Anthony:
Great! I think if students (people) feel that their instructor truly cares and want to see them succeed, that sentiment will go a lot farther than forcing material to students, which is essentially the point you made.

Regards, Barry

Most successful with
1.Sharing my field experiences that fit the topic areas. I share both my successes and failures with the class via storytelling of the event in words, images, and sounds often by improvisation or embellishment.

2.Using the white board to supplement my presentations.

Least successful with
1.Using a standardized PowerPoint that has errors, is out of date, and jumps around instead of flowing

2.Group discussions. Can be difficult to control and can get off track real easy.

Hi Michael:
All interesting points. I think your PPT with errors has to be the most annoying to anyone who cares about what is being presented. It shows more attention to the detail and perhaps preparation are needed. As instructors, these things stand out perhaps more that they do to students.

Regards, Barry

I've had good luck with review if I go around the room,or random order.That way the students don't know who is next.If it just a plain Q&A,usually the same person or people will volunteer an answer,and the majority are silent.

Sign In to comment