Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I try to balance the power point with lecture reading and experience and try to stop class just to talk about the work they will be doing in the field and what will be expended of them and when we go to lab I show them what we learned in class this way I think I cover all ways of learning and the biggst thing is that you show you care

Hi Kenneth:
You do cover many important instructional strategies with these techniques. If students feel you really care, they'll be happier about their learning (and more forgiving if mistakes are made too!).

Regards, Barry

One on One learning is very successful.
I think that one group work isn't very successful

I can project the power point presentation along with information off of our approved web sites on the white board of systems that will support the power point.
Also using the white board will add to the presentations.they work very well togeather.
Old material and Q&A sessions are not that good, at least they don't work for me that well.

The methods I most enjoy:

Using the power-point in conjunction with writing supporting information on the white board and tying the two together at the same time. In addition, I enjoying using short quizes that reinforce the lesson of the previous day. The quizes bring up questions and discussions that may not have been addressed the previous day.

The methods I least enjoy:

I mainly can think of one right now and that is continuous lecture. This includes reading directly from the power point without elaborating. I feel that students are not paying to have information read to them. They want to comprehend the information and learn how to apply what they are read and hear to solving the verious types of problems they may run into.

The two methods of delivery that I find works good for me is the PowerPoint hand outs for diagrams. The PowerPoint allows the student to see the main points and for me to explain additional information that they will need or can be of assistance to them. When I use a diagram on a hand out the students can follow the flow and make notes about testing procedures.
The white board is not my most successful delivery tool as I feel that I spend to much of my time with my back to the students. Also, the overhead projectors as the PowerPoint can be used to show a moving flow or diagram.

Hi Robin:
Many students respond very favorably to PPT. It seems like the younger generation is especially familiar with the technology and "presentation" aspect that PPT's bring to the instructional process.

One way you might try if you feel you want to use the white board more is to have a student (one with good fast print style) stand at the board and transcribe some of your key points. You could give him/her your notes, or just tell her to write such and such. While she writing, you can elaborate on the points being emphasized. You could also experiment with having different students do the writing.

Of course with overheads, the opportunity to write out stuff ahead of time is always an option. But I understand it does have it's limitations.

Regards, Barry

Hi Richard:
One way of defining learning is the impartation of information from one individual to another. That said, each instructor needs to feel at ease with themselves and their teaching methods. Students are very accurate barometers as to what is interesting, stimulating, ingaging...and boring. Use your self observational skills to determine what really works for you.

Regards, Barry

Hi Steve:
Instructors who can allocate the time for one on one instrution are very fortunate to be given this generosity of time. Good instructors will use the time wisely.

Regards, Barry

The best way to effectivly teach is to use past experiance and tell stories to prove the practical application of the subject matter.
The actual real world application of the material being covered!

Hi James:
Experience can be a great teacher. Especially useful when the instructors past experience is coupled with current, applicable stuednt learning outcoumes and course outlines.

Regards, Barry

1.Demonstrating in front of the class the finer points of a particular component and how it works in relation to the other components. 2.Using a training board and disassembling a component to show its simplicity, how it functions, how it relates to the other components in the system and how to troubleshoot it.
1. Prepared for you Power Point presentations that are over loaded with verbage, use minimal color and contain typos.
2. Prepared power point presentations that are technically incorrect.

With the power points, I can use that as a starting point with a discussion, because it will keep the discussion within the confines of our objectives for the day. I also like to spend time on the Lab objectives, so the students understand what id expected from their labs, and why they are doing them (wiifm)

I have found that to be true. When the student feels that you care about them and their intrests, they will respond to learning.

Hi Rich:
You've contrasted a couple of good technical examples. These could probably be applied in many instructional settings. Also, your PPT examples are good examples and suggest the power of the visual sense in the learning process.

Regards, Barry

Hi Thomas:
Great! When students see how they will benefit, they'll be more attentive and willing to pay attention. Anytime you can get that response, thats a good thing.

Regards, Barry

Hi Michael:
Yes, it's just about caring and respect for their needs.

Regards, Barry

My 2 most successful methods are:

In class demonstration.
This allows me to show them how easy some jobs really are, while getting them excited about their ability to devlop this skill, and make money with it. After I demonstrate. I will (time permitting), have each work group perform the task in front of the class. Their participation builds excitement and confidence.

Group research and presentation:
This gives each group the opporunity to learn how to use research tools, to find needed information. Which is helpful in building research skill for field use. Also this helps build speaking skills, that are useful when dealing with customers and other service personnel.

least successful. Techniques

Demonstration with out group participation
this does not get them to apply their learned skills.

building mach ups - students dont see the relevance

Hi Dennis:
I like your successful comment about getting your students excited. That can make a difference in how the students approach their learning. Also, anytime we can get students to speak up in class brings them one step closer to being "teacher-like". Studies have proven that teating a topic is the most beneficial way to learn something. So, your class discussion and research is good towards this end.

Regards, Barry

I find that using powerpoint along with the white board is the most enjoyable methods for me to use. I can effectively split the students attention on myself, and on the information on the board, and still be able to draw diagrams, and add on notes as needed with relative ease.
I find that using the overhead and things like slides to be the least enjoyable because they tend to be very static and not as flexible as I might need. Once you start you really need to stay with the presentation, and that does not lend itself well to the way that I might need to change the delivery for a particular class.

Sign In to comment