Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The 2 delivery methods I like the most are the white board for one. I use this during the lecture portion to add pictures write down key phrases as we go thru the initial lecture portion for each section of each chapter. The 2nd one would be questioning techniques. This allows me to get more student involvement and push students individually to work harder to achieve higher than maybe they thought they could.
The method least like is the direct just stand and lecture method you talk they zone out.

Hi William:
Good use of multiple senses - seeing, hearing, discussion, thinking - all of these cumulatively contribute to better student retention. I agree, few orators can command attention well for more than a few minutes (select comedians excepted!).

Regards, Barry

The white board and the projector are my favorite media tools. I can project the power point presentation along with information off of our approved PTS web site on the white board. I can add illustrations or notes while the screen is up or select the B or W keys to black out or white out the projector image which leaves the white board completely open to use as neccessary.

Lecturing alone without the use of other media is least effective.

Hi Steven:
Using combination media such as described can contribute to very meaningful class sessions. Of course, you can also ask the students come up to the board and add pertinent information as you see fit.

Some instructors complain about glare from the LCD to the whiteboard. If that happens, some students may get an eyeful of white glare. Need to monitor that potential annoyance, if present.

Regards, Barry

The power point works very well and I like to show pictures of various vehicles and systems that will support the power point.

The least success is just straight lecture and asking questions to the group, no one likes to volenteer. If you ask to one person than they will respond, either right or wrong, and it will keep the class involved.

Hi Terry:
9 times out of 10 askinhg "are there any questions?" is not going to really answer the question(s) a student may have. A more effective method is to present for about 10-15 minutes, then do some version of an informal assessment - not graded - just something that gets the students thinking. It will reveal to what degree they know what's just been covered. Better yest, ask different students to ask questions of the group. Engage them.

Regards, Barry

Teaching to small groups in lab,4 or less
live Demonstrations when using training aids.
1- more 1 on 1 with students
2- opens their eyes as to how something works

Power point; I am successful using it, but
sometimes there is material thats not the
greatest.

Group discussions; can get off track real easily
and can be difficult to control.

Hi Kenneth:
Great!. Your 1 on 1 with students ought to be looked upon by students as prime filet. It's wonderful you're able to schedule yourself this way. And practical applications are always more interesting than lectures.

Regards, Barry

humorous,students enjoy instructions when they feel that they are being taught in a freindly and non threating way.it makes it intersting for all.boring curriculum.we instructors are entertainers. we must make the class.we song and dance to the information that must be delivered.

I find bullet point notes and student involvedreview projects work best for me.
things that dont work are extreamly long lectures with not much reinforcing projects.

Hi Timothy:
I agree that a class can be made more interesting by adding some pizazz, such as a bit of humor, or stories, or creative lessons, and the like.

There may be an element of entertainment involved, but the core purpose should the student learning outcomes - and these should be established at the beginning of a lesson. That way, an insrtuctor can measure how successful they were in reaching their students.

Regards, Barry

Hi William:
I think you'd find that most people will share your sentiments.

Anytime you can involve or ingage your students, they're just going to learn and reatin information better. It's a basic principle related to how people learn.

Regards, Barry

The two instructional delivery techniques I like to use is Power piont examples of personal experiences and using flow of the power point to keep intrest.
Second is giving examples of hands on experiences to hopefully have the student avoid some costly mistakes as new learners can

One device I dont like is question and answear sesssions some students are afraid to answear in fear of being made fun of.
Second is using power point word for word gets very dry and boring I add humor and examples with power point help as a guide.

Hi Louis:
Great! I think most everyone like a story, so your PPT personal experiences ought to be a hit. If instructors can match personal experiences with tested and true hands on exercises that align with the practical world of the particular vocation, that's even better.

Regards, Barry

I like using the white board because I like making my point through drawings, you can really take advantage of color. I am also a fan of the Power Point presentation because of all the interesting methods of delivery available through the PP. My least favorite methods is the flip chart, it is cumbersome and hard to see if you are in the back of the class room. The over head projector is some what of a mess to work with if you have a lot of material to cover.

Hi Errol:
Yeah, color can add a lot, or highlight diferences, or provide compare and contrast ideas.

One overlooked use of a flip chart is you can take time to put a carefully drawn image on the flip chat, then use over repeatedly. Of course, this technique can be duplicated by other means. But the idea of an object that you can center your discussion around sometimes proves quite helpful.

Regards, Barry

I like using power point. I can easily have pictures and diagrams illustrated and will sometimes use student handouts that they follow and fill in blanks or answer questions that apply to the diagram. I find if done correctly it keeps the students engaged. I also like using the white board to add to the presentations. It works very well when we are power flowing electrical diagrams. Our classrooms are set up to be able to shut off only the front lights to do away with the glare problem. While the students are in lab, I like to go up and question them on their process and steps they are in while diagnosing the faults. I will have them show me on the wiring diagram what type of problem (open, short, high resistance) and where and what readings did they get to justify there diagnosis.
The least effective way is just to lecture or have them just read over material.

Hi David:
Your interactive uses and combination of information on the PPTs along with the white board should help sytudents get the point you're trying make. It combines, visual, audible, and interactive elements, all tried and true methods that demonstrate student learning.

Regards, Barry

I do like to use the white board to draw components to help get the point across to the students another way to deliver successful learning is while using the power point as a reference also use of a cut away or training aid that will get there attention and allow them to visually see what a component looks like internaly and it helps keep them alert as they are being passed around the classroom. Success can be acheived with any instructional delivery method you just need to find out which one works for that moment and have fun with it

Most:
I really am comfortable with the white board as a delivery method along with pass around training aids. The white board allows me to reveal only the information I want to concentrate on. Once this concept is proven as learned then I will advance.

Least:
Information that is computer based: CD, DVD, video or powerpoint may allow for more confusion or encourage distraction from one subject to the next as the information is being covered. I find myself spending more time holding focus on important subject matter.

Sign In to comment