Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Jerry:
Great! Using the variety of media you describe and then finding what works and what doesn't. Simple and effective.

Regards, Barry

Hi Tom:
Well, this post is designed to have you determine and reflect on what works best for you. We all have our methods we think work best. And we want to remember that students learn differnt ways as well, so I thing good instructors will venture out of their safe zone and use a variety of media, even if if that not their preferred mothod of delivery.

Regards, Barry

Hands on demo and written instructions I try to show the easiest way I have found to do a task and back it up with the written instructions with the most difficult task explained hopefully as well as the easiest. Using your written instruction observe how the students understand them and then make any correction to make them work best for the student.Lecture method sometimes lets you feel the student understands but when put them to actual work you may see something was lacking in there understanding of what you said.Why would be if the student really ask no questions and all you get is the nodding head from them you may feel you have done ok until you ask them to demo what you have just gone through.Lessons that do not really cover what the student is going to be tested on is a second method this is written but some times it is left up to the instructor to make sure he covers areas that are not fully covered in the written lesson. This is somewhat unfair to the student that may not be the good note taker.

Use of the whiteboard is quite helpful. I can put schematics and notes on the board, and then try to explain what they mean. Use of the Power Point is also successful. I can take a slide, and then embellish on it, giving students info that is not available in their books.
Unsuccessful methods also include Power Point. The PP presentation in Phase 17 is thoroughly confusing, and better results are achieved without it, with the exception of a handful of slides. In A/C class, I often hand out individual components as I talk about them. I often find that the students have no idea what it is they are looking at until we go out to lab and look at real A/C systems.

I like to talk about my experiances in the field when useing the powerpoint . The students understand how the lecture can help them make money later. I enjoy teaching by example in lab, making complicated tasks look easy. I don't enjoy teaching if the students are bored,so you have to make the class fun yet educational.

Hi Fred:
Yeah - we're looking for the best way to impart the superior knowledge you have to the students in a manner they'll be able to relate to. It varies from class to class, and student to student. Your attempts to find that "just right" spot will pay off when your students start to get it.

Regards, Barry

Hi Thomas:
One the best ways to determine if a student is getting the information is for you to have them explain it - to a classmate, to the class, to you, to someone. OFten, by their own observation, they'll find where their weak spots are. Also, this is one of the ways a student will learn best, when they have to teach it or discuss it with another.

Regards, Barry

Hi Daniel:
Boy, there's nothing like an interesting story to keep student interest or to make a point. This is a great way to enhance using the PPT.

Regards, Barry

I think the two I like the best is the hands on lab portion & power point slides. You can see the aha moment when they get it. There are certain things you can do in lab, but with the power point you can show them data that you recorded during certain faults that you can't simulate in lab.
Least favorite is the Q & A, trying to get information from the students is like pulling teeth. The other one is probally watching them work on WBT courses & not getting all the information they can.

Hi Adam:
Yeah, there's nothing quite like that AHA moment, eh?

Something you might try regarding Q&A is to have the students prepare questions and assess one another. Then, you can fill in any errors or missing data. Sometimes, students will respond to their peers when they feel reluctant to do so with instructor. Just a suggestion.

Regards, Barry

I like to use the white board and draw pictures, charts, and scope wave forms and with student input label the different parts and sections of each. Another thing I find affective is when I can use a case study format about a car I've worked on and tell a story revealing part of the information and asking them what they think happened next. One of the things I have to work at is when doing demonstration I really need to remember that I’m not talking to experienced technicians and some of the things I thing of as common knowledge need more attention then I’m giving them.

Useful instructional delivery for me is a combination of humor and personal experience.
least useful would be powerpoint that has errors or is out of date

Hi Salvatore:
You've identified a very effective way of instruction - taht is of telling stories. People like to hear them. Ususally, thet're interesting and can sometimes convey an idea or two that makes sense when a more direct approach would seem more straightforward.

Regards, Barry

Hi Robert:
Regarding the PPT, sometimes using the publisher supplied slides, although professional in apperance, are not as good as instructor made slides. Or, if you use someone else's slide show, there can be information you'd never put in there if it was your own slide. Yes, out of date is really of no benefit to anyone.

Regards, Barry

I miss the over head because I felt that it was a good idea to draw something on the over head/ or have something already made up to make a point. Then after the point has been made you can empty the over head for further discussion.

Power points are good on a white board back ground and you can black/white it out when you do not want it to distract from your next point... and then continue with another power point.

I have never felt real good about a flip chart because it can get messed up when a lot of instructors using it. But it can be handy for brain storming and discussion sessions.

Chalk boards are filthy. Enough said on that!

Hi Jeff:
I agree with the bye-be to chalk boards - that dust is truly an environmental hazard. One way to make the flip chart work is to take time before a class to do really good drawings, tables, or lesson points. Then save these for future, multiple uses.

Regards, Barry

In using the PP I feel they slides are only bullet points not the whole enchilada. I will expand what the slide presents and include personal experiance. I also like to give demonstrations to each lab group, I will select one lab to do this with and work with each group showing them and explaining what it is I would like them to learn.

My least succesful has been Q&A sessions. The age group I work with is still afraid of wrong answers and its very hard to get them involved that way

2 instructional delivery methods are you most successful with, enjoy the most and why?
The most successful would be the using power point and the whiteboard in combination. Using electrical component on the PPT and the have a student start a circuit then have that student call on others. The students get a big bang out of this. At the end and after all corrections have been made we have a working circuit.
2 instructional delivery methods are you least successful with, enjoy the least and why? The least effective way is just to lecture or have them just read over material or answer questions in a book.

Hi Chuck:
Good use of PPT. One way to make Q&A work is to give your students 4-heets of paper with instructions to write "A", "B", "C", and "D" on each peice. Then ask a question and ask the class to choose one of the four choices and hold up their paper. Then you can ask the A group why they chose that answer, and so forth. It's really just a way to ease into having students speak up in class.

Regards, Barry

Hi John:
Great! There is a lot you can do wih PPT and whiteboard. I agree about the boring lecture or reading. One way to break it up is to have students read a section or even read a part of the lecture, then have others in the class comment.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment