Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Peter:
Right - we want to try and involve every student. There will be "answer hogs" if we're not careful in our methods of soliciting answers from the class. Other methods include alphabetically, assigned number, and random number.

Another method I call "segmental discussion" involves the first student answering the first part of a question, then I go to the next and ask, "why", then to the another and ask "why" to the second responder, and so on. This helps engage all and gives an opportunity for the brighter students to share more about what they know about the topic.

Regards, Barry

What i like best is. Ask questions,have student involved ask for feedback on why they gave that answer. 2. Show and tell let them see what happens and why it worked or not. Least. Slide prensation that does not flow... Haveing an section that reqires you to give a long lecture.

Hi Milton:
Great. We need to be able to keep students attention. Most people have only a 20-30 minute attention span that needs a change up if the same material is going to be continued. Good change-ups are change of media, go into discussion or Q&A, read from the book, have a student explain a point, etc.

Regards, Barry

I try to embellish the powerpoint slides with lines and different drawings so it is more informative, I will relate industry experiences to the lessons.
These are both items I am comfortable with. I am least successful with large classes in lab because it is very difficult to supervise 30+ students working in 8 areas or more at the same time.

I think the 2 most successful delivery methods are hands on and demonstration. It seems to be easier and more exciting for the students.
The 2 least successful I think are lecture and reading assignments. Students seem to become board with this style of learning.

Hi Dave:
If we look at this a bit differently, such as from the basic learning styles of visual, auditory, and kinesthetic, it becomes apparent that everyone learns by all of these methods. What is known is that some learn with one or more being more prominent or dominant

Actually, teaching others is the best way to learn a topic, so I would say however we can get students engaged in teaching-like activities such as leading group discussion, critiquing each others written work, or class presentations, the students will probably retain more of the needed information.

Regards, Barry

Hi Dave:
If we look at this a bit differently, such as from the basic learning styles of visual, auditory, and kinesthetic, it becomes apparent that everyone learns by all of these methods. What is known is that some learn with one or more being more prominent or dominant

Actually, teaching others is the best way to learn a topic, so I would say however we can get students engaged in teaching-like activities such as leading group discussion, critiquing each others written work, or class presentations, the students will probably retain more of the needed information.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment