Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Robert:
Sounds good. I know I would have a lesser view of my teacher and class if the door was locked and things appeared unsettled.

Regards, Barry

Hi William:
Absoutely. Especially with lab, we've got to have all of the needed materials out, working, and ready for student use.

Regards, Barry

Class room ,A place for everything and everything in place! Schudule for the day on board,all training aids and hand outs ready! Greet class with a positive attitude and enthusiasm !! You are ready !!

Hi James:
Yes, you're right - YOU are ready. You've got all the peices together. Even you post is filled with enthusiasm. Great!

Regards, Barry

Preperation is the key, having a clean orgonized room/area always helps start the class on a possitive note. I do think some field trips and other activitys would be a help also.

Before class I put preprinted instructions for the day's computer lab. On the white board I list the day's lesson and all labs due that day.
After sign in I go over each Item on the board and why it's important to them.

before class I bring in the training aids I will be using. I put them in the front of the room on a table. The students see them and a few will always start talking about them.It stimulates the information to come. All hand outs, lab packets, or any additional information that I am going to present or hand out, is prepared in advance.The classroom must be clean and organized. I then great the class and give them a brief history, and background of myself. I am always excited, and tell the students I love what I do. I also tell the students I am a professional in my field, but I do not know everything, but if you give me some time there is nothing I cannot find an answer to. I stay excited every day I am around the students, it works for me.I also deliver lectures with a tone everyone can hear and I am never monotone.I ask students questions and keep them engaged.

Hi Steve:
You're right - nothing beats being prepared. All it takes is being unprepared a couple of times to appreciate how awful and nonproductive this can be.

Regards, Barry

Hi Charles:
Good organization and follow up. Having things organizaed while encouraging students to ask questions will set the tone for the remainder of the class. That first day is so important.

REgards, Barry

Hi James:
Good deal. I think evryone usually finds something interesting about the things they'll soon be working with, so your demo equipment is a great idea.

Also, your personal touch - willing to share about yourself brings everyone down to equal footing, at least on one level. That makes us instructors seem human. That'll help if we ever have to discipline a student or be academically firm in some way.

Regards, Barry

For me preperation is everything,I arive early each day. I hate being late and/or unprepared. Set up the lab get the tools and vehicles ready make sure all labs are functional prep any handouts, set the classroom up and make sure any computer programs are working if they are to be used that day. Review material pertinat to the class goals and lesons for the day. Retrive any supplies needed for the day, then have my coffee.

Conduct my orchestra by being prepared. All parts of the orchestra must be in tune same note same timing. One way in doing this is get to know the students in class find out where their experience then use that in the different topics in class. Like others have stated, having all hand-outs, quizzes and other information prepared ahead of class is crucial to keep things flowing. If sometimes things will not go as it should ……. Bad note gets in, have a plan B flexibility in any class is good.

Hi Chuck:
Good plan, Chuck. Your class seems very well prepared.

Regards, Barry

Hi John:
Interpersonal communication is always a good idea as it helps the instructor learn something about the students, and it adds a tone that is friendly and usually non-thretening. Plus, the students get a sense about you, as their instructor as well.

Regards, Barry

I arrive early for my class and set up any labs, obtain the training parts to show and copy any paper work that is needed. I then open my PowerPoint and look over what I will be presenting. Some areas have had questions asked from other classes and I have written down notes to add in to help the students to get a better understanding.

Hi Robin:
Sounds like you are very prepared. I think your practice of reviewing past notes is terrific, since they provide you with reminders of past memories of what has worked or items you want to cover.

Regards, Barry

I have every thing laid out in advance. I also have lots of performance parts sitting around to get them excited. I tell them about my back ground and enthusiasm for the profession, and I spend the first part of the first day asking the students where they are from, if they have a performance car, how far they are in their program and weather they are planning on taking any graduate programs, so I can get a feel for them.

Hi Jeff:
What you've created is an opportunity for students to use their imagination - in anticipation of exciting things to come. Thats great.

Regards, Barry

Setting a good example, be professional in everyway, being prepard and early for class.
Do not expect your students to do any more than what you are preparred to do.

Hi Chris:
These are good points. I think the example we set as instructors can set the tone we want to see in our students, as you stated. I also think that example can contribute to students doing better in class if they feel the instructor is professional and is there to help them learn.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment