Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like to conduct my orchestra by being prepared. I like to have my class or lab ready before any students arrive. I personally believe that having clean and well organized training aids contributes to the quality of the students’ educational experience. I also believe that placing clear verbal and written expectation of the day’s lesson plan will benefit the student and the instructor. This type of class structure allows more time to teach and less down time in class. I think that using a change of state in the conduct of the lesson is just as if not more important than class preparation. This allow the student to focus on the material being taught.

Hi Kenneth:
You've got a successful working stategy there. I'm sure your students feel weel connected to your expectations.

Regards, Barry

I work on creating an environment where the students can interact with each other and with the information being presented to maximize retention. this is done with class room layout and with the material the student have infront of them such as training aids. In delivery method I personally use the approach of let us just discuss the topic using the textbook and workbook as guides without the powerpoint at first cover the topic as complete as possible then turn the powerpoint on and review.

Hi William:
Sound like a good flow - organized, sequenced, planned, prepared. Great!

Regards, Barry

I make out a check list of things needed for the section that I need to cover.
And then list labs that will cover the four most prominent student character types. Last but not lest I spend some time setting up an outline of events for the day.
I find that the class flows better if I am better prepared. The process of keeping notes has allowed me to go back and chose the best labs and gives me the opportunity to make them better. I have found that the Introduction/ presentation of the lab can make or break a good lab so I spend some time on this.

I like to get to class early enough, at least an hour, to set up lab vehicles and equipment for that day’s diagnosis problems. I make sure the room is neat and presentable. I make sure to have any handouts required copied and set out. I write the day’s objectives on the board. In Ford we are able to have the room set up in a U pattern to easily go around the room to interact with the students.

I begin each phase with a sylobis of the entire course. It has a summery of everything we are going to cover in their course and a calender of when we are going to cover it. I come in early every day and write down on the board what we are doing for that day as a reminder. I also greet them at the door each day and they can see I am ready for them.

Hi Jeff:
Your self evaluation process seems very apealing, as it allows you to make fine tuning adjustments to your own teaching styles and collection of instructional tools. I like that!

Regards, Barry

Hi David:
Getting prepared makes a big difference in how an instructor feels (relaxed vs. stressed) and seems to make the class go a bit smoother when all is set and ready. Your "U" format is terrific.

Regards, Barry

Hi Terry:
You know, that personal greeting has a personal touch that I think is very subtle but effective. Some instructors feel like they don't have the time or it's not appropriate. But I just consider it polite, and I take time either at the beginning or at class end to shake each ones hand and thank them (in advance/after class) for their attention. I am treating them like adults.

Regards, Barry

I am a firm beliver in the "kiss" method (keep it simple stupid), when I am trying to give my students a lifetime of info in forteen days it is a very hard challenge, I build from the simple to the complex in a manor where everyone grasps the info at pretty much the same leval at the same time. I constantly research for new items to relate to my class that deals with students interest so that i have added items for class room discussion that they have heard or know about...works well for my classes.

Hi Kenneth:
Keeping things current such as you describe is a great way to keep things interesting and applicable ia (an apparently) short time frame. Seems like its working for you.

Regards, Barry

I like to have the classroom and lab ready for use every day and also have all handouts ready. I like to keep all tools and traing-aids neat and organized.

Hi Daniel:
Good organization suggests prepared classes and topic for the lessons ahead. Also, suggests a shared responsibility to keep thing straightened and orderly.

Regards, Barry

Preparation is always very important it shows organization and professionalism on the instructor's part. Your daily objectives should be listed on the board so when they enter the classroom it is neat and clean and they can see exactly what will be covered that day. Any materials you may need will be in place along with any handouts. I like to walk into a classroom that has a lot of flash and excitement not just four white walls that looks to sterile. The setting that the students will be in can affect their mindset and shows the instructor's passion and pride in their facility

Hi Jerry:
Good. When a stdent knows what to expect, they are plainly just going to do better than if the class activities are unknown. Variety adds a sense of excitement about what lies ahead, and that can positively contribute to the level of student motication.

Regards, Barry

I make sure all my handouts are ready to hand out.I print my sylabus and update it when necessary. I make sure all class hardware (pens,markers,hiliters)are ready and in place.
I did like the idea of color paper for handouts,
I think I'll try this to see how it works.

I have set up a routine for day one to set the stage. Planned lessons and labs with specific goals in mind and a presentation prior to each lab to assure the students success. My labs are run as if the student is in a shop environment and his/her job is the lab for that lesson.

J. Newman:
Laying out your plan to the students will displace any mystery about whats coming ahead. These expectations can then be used to guage how successful you were in fulfilling the daily objectives.

Regards, Barry

Hi William:
Good - an up-to-date syllabus is always a good start because it suggests the material is fresh and current. Students will learn best when they sense you're trying new things and wanting to keep everything tuned to their learning needs.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment