Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Good to kow about the gesturs used by the clinical instructor in clinical setting.

All the clinical setting teaching tools can assist me in improving my teaching practice.

Many nurses use hand gestures and facial signals to each other when working with patients. The idea to create a set for the students is great and will help them learn without worrying about how to not look incompetent in front of patients or their families.

Very nice and helpful

I learned that this course is designed to improve teaching practices and skills. Some examples on how to do that include things like using the dot to visually track the progress of the students without having to be with each of them at the same time. This information is very helpful in the clinical setting.

Black out bingo, event cards,dots for progress,etc. all seem like nice ideas. I do not agree with this teaching style. I like interaction with the students to learn of their progress instead of looking at dots. I like to give  students case studies so I can see them use their problem solving skills and critical thinking skills. I like to find out what they are learning, what questions they may have and find ways to assist them. Games are fine and maybe fun. Nursing is real life scenarios which I find exciting. I try to make taking care of patients exciting and fun! 

I really like the moving the dot activity to show what has been done.  I defiinitely plan to use that one.

Good practices in teaching skills are minding the student's anxiety, giving some encouragement.

I really liked the Event Cards and the Best/Worst observation for the day (Staff surprises).  I also liked the hand gestures.  Very applicable to real clinical situations.  Thank you.

Patient bingo is a great way to get students involved and to remind them of the skills that they need to be signed off on

I like the hand jestures. Have used them often.

I will definitely be using the ideal with the dots in the clinical setting. Love this

I learned many effective strategies to engage my classes in learning. I think this will help them to learn and have fun.

This last leson had great ideas to try out during clinical instruction. I particularly liked the gestures, it is a way to make corrections without bringing attention to the student.

Great examples of learning activities were noted. The bingo works well with groups in face to face, zoom sessions and hybrid to meet the student interaction.  Another teaching tool utilized is Jeopardy and Kahoot for the active learning.  All great information in this session.

I like the code gestures or words that the students should use for "stop".  i used this with new staff when working in hosptal as the clinical educator.

Waltina Bellamy

I learned different teaching practices and skills especially the dots in clinical tool.

I found the ideas to be significantly informative and practical. I will attempt the "Dot method".

I think the dot idea is an excellent one, as well as staff suprises.

Patient bingo - for students who are shy, this will encourage them to interact with patients

Event cards - will help assess and test the students' critical thinking skills

Staff surprises - gives students oportunities to verbalize good and not so good experiences with staff

Gestures/signs - code between students and faculty to communicate in front of patients without upsetting the patients on embarassing the students

Dot on watch - reminds students what task need supervision and helps keep track of their progress

Sign In to comment