Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

HABE's and Blind Spots

How can career college educators and other college personnel be more aware of our HABE's and our personal blind spots? It is so easy to find flaws in others, but it is much more difficult when you have to critique your own attitudes.

The secret is to take an internal scan by listing goals and then listing HABEs that sre getting in the way and holding you back.

Also, just keep looking for the Scotomas and you will find where they are. People you trust will also tell you where they are if you are ready to
hear them.

Joe

At the end of each class series, I ask students to fill out a class evaluation and ask them to be as critical as they can. I tell them I welcome negative as well as positive comments, because this will help me see my short comings that I may not see otherwise.

This has been an area of development for me as well as the schools I have worked with- I ask for honest and constuctive feedback from the students and in some cases, staff. If I am so focused on doing something for the students, but don't realize that I might be too narrow in my approach. Getting that feedback is essential for me not only as an individual but as a team player. While it can be difficult to hear at that time, I am grateful for the "teachable moment" if you will. As a manager, I am finding that by being open with my team in the same environment as well as doing the same for them has strengthen our bond and improved communication skills- all benefit the student!!

We all have HABEs to become aware of and also Scotomas. The way to find them is to ask people and to keep looking for them.

It is so important to understand one's own HABEs and blind spots to avoid making judgments that might be harmful to our students. Instructors are sometimes ready to sum up students after the first day of class but we need to check our own HABEs and understand how they are influencing our perceptions of the students.

One way to overcome blind spots is to work with our peers, visit each other's classrooms and discuss strategies together. Being able to to gain multiple perspectives helps us to recognize and alleviate our blind spots.

My class does the same for me Mary. Once i get the feedback from my previous class, i would look it over to see if anyone had anything to say that may need some improvment. For me, its the only way I know i'm doing everything I can for my customer, the student.

I agree with everything you have said. In addition I have found it important not to react to first impressions of a student. I have often seen students that have not done well in the academic section of my class excel when we get to practical applications.

There isn't much more I can add to what's already been said except that if you keep your mind open and are aware that you do have blind spots, you have taken the first step in identifying and then overcoming them.

Right on! Just keep asking yourself...what am I not seeing and the answers will come.

Joe

I have found that customer satisfaction surveys are helpful, but some people do not apply the results to themselves. So, if you have a group of admission advisors, not everyone looks at their own HABEs or personal blind spots. In fact, it is quite difficult to get some people to examine themselves. That's really the questions - How do you do this? I found that making self-examination activities part of student services meetings as routine component has really helped in this area.

Lucy,

You a correct that people usually do not self examine unless there is some kind of stimulus for them to do so. Properly phased questions and activities will help trigger self examination.

Lucy,

I agree that getting people to examine themselves is very difficult. I think you have found a great way to help this situation wiht making the activities part of the student services meetings.

I teach Massage and Bodywork Therapy. Often, I find that as part of our chosen profession, we tend to critique ourselves first - this applies to students of Massage Therapy, as well. Unconditional, positive regard for all individuals is not just "something to aspire to"; but, I believe it is really who we ALL know we are as human beings. I write this to point out a possible scicoma in your question (...correct spelling ???).

...Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks, Shelia

Great idea, I plan to do a self emamination. Then ask all my co-workers to do the same.

While I do not do that formally at the end of every class, I do make it clear at the beginning of each semester that if I am doing something right or wrong, let me know now so I can continue or correct it. Don't wait and put it on my end-of-semester evaluation!

Colleen,

It is worth checking is more often. A good technique is to have students complete a "one minute essay" at the end of class that requires them to tell you one thing you are doing well and one thing they wish you would change.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment