Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our career services department could do more if it had a bigger budget. They critique resumes, have some contact with local employers, and co-sponsor a job fair where few employers are actually hiring.

I intend to have more recruiters and business people, who are potential employers, to come talk to my classes about their company and why our grads would want to work for them. I haven't tried this yet, but I think sales people are the best ones to give this type of talk, since they have to sell the company to the prospect.

Good deal. Frankly, building a relationship with career service people is key. A relationship equals trust. The link helps to keep the vision alive... in other words, improved retention.

Dr. B

We actually begin to discuss the palcement departments role in our student education during the admissions process. This follows through the students entire time spent in school. There is a well thought out schedule of when the placement department will contact students concerning resumes, preparation of interviews and the extren process. The school offers many mini job fairs and interviewing oppetunites on campus as well as phone interviews. The entire education staff becomes involved in mentoring and assisting the students with the extern processs. The only area that might need some improvement is the ability of the placement department to further assist students that are interested in securing externs outside of the schools network. Many of the students are simply not as experienced in contacting and communicating w/ these outside establishments and seem to rely heavily on the Instructors for assistance in that area which, of course we are happy to help in any way possible.

This is the key... total enrollment... all departments linked at the start of the application process. Remember, 96% of your students don't want to study, they want "the" job. So, linking early in the student's program helps to build a relationship and trust. This is an important key to retention.

Dr. B

When I went back to school it was for the knowledge, not so much for the job. Is it that different now? And where did 96% come from?

Think about it... why do we study? To gain knowledge that we can use ... to do what? As you listen to students during orientation, what do you hear? The 96% comes from a USA Today source. Linking careers to courses is one key to retention. One school improved retention by 11%.. How? Academic advising, centered on careers to keep the vision alive.

Dr. B

I agree, my desire to return to college was predicated on the fact that those with a better standard of living had positions that required more knowledge.

And, I also realized that I couldn't be sucessful in those positions until I possessed that knowledge.

Thank you for your insight, this has been a positive influence on me, and I hope to use these lessons more productively while teaching my students, and increase my retention.

The placement department meets with students throughout the curriculum as well as during orientation.

We have an advising program whose focus we are going to redirect to emphasizing placement on externship.

We have incorporated placement activities into the curriculum; one class focuses strongly on resumes, interviews and public speaking.

Good for your school. This is a key to retaining students. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Banks

We have a Part-Time Jobs list that is updated and posted on the portal every Friday. We have several Career Fairs annually as well as several recruiting Blocks where companies come on campus to interview perspective students in person. We also have faculty advisors that discuss externships with their students at least once every module so the topic is never put off to the side. We also have resume building and an Externship Gala where students get signed off once they have secured an externship site.

This is so important, William... Why do they come to school? To get "the" job. So, when students see jobs... what do they do? Stick ... Sounds like you are well linked.

Dr. B

Our placement department invites local businesses to see our school programs and hire our students. Placement center also do the follow-ups to see how our graduates perform. Students are also asked to prepare a two minute video presentation(about their preparedness for the work environment).

Connecting placement and career services early in a student's program equals improved retention. Employer job fairs is a great to make that connection.

Dr. B

Our Career Services department assists students with finding externships as well as jobs. They host great career fairs as well as job fairs here on campus. Career Services assist students in resume development and interview skills. They make is a point to go into every class each term to advise them on their availablity. At the beginning of every new start, the Director of Career services meets with each strategies class to explain their position as well as answer questions that the new students might have. They are also incharge of monitoring the students externship activity.

Sounds like your career services department is engaged in all the right things. Too many career service departments attempt to create a relationship late in the process. Glad to see early on engagement.

Dr. B

I am curretly training to be a instructor at a trade school. this school does a very good job from the time of oriantaion to list several companies that hire from here and what they are looking for from the students. As an instructor I will reinforce the goals and remind students of job oppertunities as often as possible.

Our school has several workshops throughout the year to expose students to potential employers. There is also a program to help students construct resumes that standout from the rest of the crowd. In addition to the a strong placement department, each instructor needs to make the material relevant to the students. In every seminar, I try to give the student an idea of how they will use critical thinking strategies in their career. Very few of students will be biologists after they graduate, but the writing skills and critical thinking skills that they develop with stay with them long after they graduate. Another way to increase student retention is to show sincere concern for the students. Students that feel as though they are isolated will be less likely to complete the program. However, if they have faculty that regularly reach out to them they will be more likely to reach their career goals.

Our school has a great Career Service Department. They do from career fairs every quarter to resume workshops to internships and more. The department relation with our community and the different companies placed here is 100% effective. Also, the school does have a website where graduates can place their resumes, look for jobs and communicate with their former classmates.

At differant times of the year we have our emploment dept. talk to our students to remind them of all the things they do to help them get employed.

Our school does a great job with our placement program. Even at the beginning of there education they are asked to envision life five years from now. Also, to establish a career and personal goal to research. This allows them to put action behind there goals.

Sign In to comment