Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mentoring/Tutoring

When I have student(s) that need mentoring/tutoring I will use one of his fellow student(s) that is already aware of his needs and the mentoring/tutoring student will also benefit from the additional training he receives when helping mentor/tutoring. The added benefit to my class is I have a better retention.

Perfect. This way, both students benefit. I like it!

Dr. B

We have been mentoring new students. Currently we pair a new student with an instructor. This can be helpful because a new student can connect to an instructor and the college. Many students like and benefit from this interaction.

Yes, I agree that peer tutoring/mentoring is very effective, and definitely benefits both persons involved. One thing that's important to remember is that needing help and wanting help can go together or be two separate things. Ideally, we want them to go together, a student that needs help also wants it. Unfortunatley, occasionally we encounter a student who may need it, but doesn't want it or doesn't realize that he actually does need it. It's then that we need to pull out all our skills to get the student to accept the help we're offering without feeling pressured.

I agree that tutoring/mentoring can be very effective and has benfits for both. The problem, as you pointed out, is that not all students realize that they need the mentoring. That is a problem and usually takes trying to knock down the barrier, which can be hard and may never be broken down completely. All we can do is use what skills we have and do our best to assist those students.

That would be true. However, most students do want to form relationships with staff and faculty. So, maybe it can be informal mentoring.

Dr. B

Peer tutoring/mentoring does benefit both students. The tutor or mentor doesn't realize how much they know about subject content until they have to explain it to someone else. I have found that links often continue on after the first need for the relationship. The tutor and tutoree form a relationship that continues on for the quarter and sometimes beyond. Reliable and knowledgeable mentors/tutors can often communicate with students and satisfy their needs at least as well as instructors.

Tutor processes will help students to stay in courses. Sounds like you know what you should do.

Dr. B

It is a great situation when students feel comfortable to share their ideas and concepts with their peers. When students are engaged in tutoring one another or just studying together it helps both of them and creates a bond.

mentoring students in our facility could have
some gray clouds hanging over it,(such as fraternization). so i stay away from it.
tutoring, however can have positive effects
on students outcome at a learning center.

Mentoring should be by choice,not forced, to be the most effective. Some faculty really are good at it and others not so much, so why have a half-hearted effort.

I personally engage in a lot of one on one tutoring or guidance in some cases. I know that it really creates a bond when you take the time to work with a student.

Peer Tutoring/Mentoring is/are very important for the overall retention of the campus. Plus it aids in reinforcing what the Tutor is teaching in their own learning process.

At our campus we have a mixture of Professors and student tutors who are available to meet with students in our resource center. It is nice to have this mix because students are able to make appointments with whoever they feel more comfortable with. We also have several study groups for different courses that meet on campus in the evenings or weekends. It seems like the students who get involved with our tutoring programs or in study groups tend to stay in school and graduate.

Since I have started talking about the tutoring available to all students on the first day of class I have seen an increse in students who request it. Some have more of a need than others but I feel that by making sure to keep students aware of the resources available to them makes them more comfortable to ask for the help they need. I will also try to notice when I have a student who is struggling with the material and just remind them of what services are available to them. I feel that this is a leading cause to keeping them progressing though my classes.

Two additional challenges to this puzzle that have I've seen are when the student feels humiliated or embarresed by the suggestion they need tutoring/mentoring or they wait until the course is nearly finished before asking. I remind students that tutoring is available on day one. I furthermore, especially in classes that deal heavily in "theoreticals", try to get them to embrace the reality that unless they receive their tutoring/mentoring, before attempting course work, the tutoring/mentoring have little or no impact on their success.

I often do close to the same thing. My favorite benefit is a little selfish; it helps to keep the whiz-kids occupied and from getting into trouble.They often finish early and it's a challenge to keep them engaged in active learning. If I ask them to work with a struggling peer, they "eat it up" and seem to be more than glad to help. I have never had a struggling student balk at having some help from a "top gun" in my class.

I have to agree with your observations. I speak with students on a daily basis who are filled with self doubt. This self doubt shows itself in a number of ways. Many times it leads to inaction on the part of the student. They act as though they are paralyzed and unable to begin the process of improvement. Much of what I do is express my confidence in their ability to succeed, and show them that they just need to hone some skills. They first have to believe in themselves.

Awesome. Do all you can to build a relationship with students. Then, they will trust you and confide in you.

Dr. B

I agree. It is always a good practice to get someone who is on theri level and even maybe someone that is in their group to help them along. Peer tutoring keeps the student comfortable in their surroundings. Sometimes a teacher or instructor might seem a bit authoritative and brash when one on one with the student which can curb the learning experience.

It is most important for all of us to be able to create students friendly envirement and to do all we can not only mentor our students but to inspiring them critical component for their success!

Sign In to comment