Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Team Approach in Orientation

What departments other than Admissions have the most interaction with students and how do you currently involve them in your orientation?

We begin our orientation by having students greeted by our student services manager and admissions rep. Students are brought to an area to be seen by FA then are taken to an area to be fitted for uniforms. All during this time, pictures are taken and students are interacting with the education department, business office, FA, career services. After a brief introduction by our executive staff students are separated by discipline where they receive individual orientation by their scheduled instructor. This allows the students to get an idea of the instructior's expectation for the course while students are meeting their classmates all prior to the first day of class.

We basically use the same format for our orientations as Estelle. We also take them to the bookstore to receive a prepared book bag filled with textbooks, notebooks, pen and pencils, two 3 1/2 floppies, and other materials necessary for a successful first day of class.

By Joanne Bosley Wisdom

Do either of you compile individualized welcome packets of some sort?...welcome letters from the faculty/academic division, etc?

Our students receive thier welcome letter after the enrollment process, before they attend the orientation.

Joanne

Currently, our admissions staff greets our students. Then our Director of Education and Campus Director facilitates the orientation. Throughout the orientation we have the students meet with Financial Aid, Student Records (to receive ID card and pictures taken), and one of their instructors.

I have always wanted to include more introductions from the rest of the staff but timing and staff availability has always been a problem. I like the idea of creating a welcome letter. Has anyone tried a handout or pamphlet of staff pictures and bio's? Has this been effective?

-Jessie

Jessie--

I have been in several colleges where they have a bulletin board in major areas with pictures, names and departments noted. Sometimes they set it up in a 'who to see about what' format which seems helpful (e.g. putting down the types of issues students may have and then displaying the photos, names, etc. under those). Don't know how effective that is in a measurable form, but it does seem like a very good idea. Something permanently available to students.

Susan

Our's is similar to this one - with stations for finance, registrar for schedules, pictures for ID cards, and car registration.

All Departments participate in orientation. Admissions emcees the event, and we have visits by the Executive Director and the Dean. Financial Aid is a big part of our orientation, and because of the personal and confidential nature of the transactions, they often have information about the students' lives that we in education would not. This can help to identify situations we would have to keep an eye on.

B

Bret--

Absolutely true regarding financial aid. Students often tell them much more--partly due to the fact they must collect some highly confidential things anyway. Is there some type of formal sharing of appropriate information that would help with retention?

Our FA Officer gives a brief presentation, but urges students with questions to visit her privately. Career Services spends a good deal of time with new students during Orientation. We want to create cause and effect right away -by fully participating in his or her school experience, the students see that the careers they want our waiting for them.

Matthew--

Excellent! That is the whole point, after all....students see school as a necessary process to get from where they are to where they want to be. Careers, and the lifestyle that provides, are the bottom line for students.

We have a picture board, too. It helps reinforce whatever was said in orientation as to who is who on the instructional staff. It helps them remember from mod to mod also.
B

Dear Bret: That sound like a geat idea. I think I will try that next mod.

Joanne,

I am glad you like it. Ours says "We're proud of our instructors." And has a picture of each of them.

One caveat: never let it go out of date. It sends the totally opposite message.

B

All--

Bret's observation regarding keeping the picture board up-to-date is extremely important--for all informational things you have distributed or displayed. It simply adds to the frustration students are feeling when they are in need of interacting with someone.

It doesn't hurt to change it up once in awhile as well. Rearrange the pictures, put up a new background, etc. Students will stop and look at it with 'new eyes' even though the same material is there.

Susan

The team approach in orientation is necessary because the new students are introduce to key people in the administration and also some of the faculty if possible. I feel every member of the team give a difference perspective on the school environment. I also think it a great idea to have current students involve in the team approach. Peer to peer discussion about the school is very valuable and students always relate to their peers.

Joanne--

Absolutely true on all accounts, especially the peer interaction. It adds a great deal of credibility--they EXPECT employees to say good things. It means much more if it comes from other students.

Susan

Our Program Directors and faculty are heavily involved in orientation. Break out sessions are developed so that students are connected immediately with their programs. For examples; Massage Director gives a mini class session of massage techiques which includes a student massage demonstration.

Julius--

Excellent idea! This is a great way to get students excited about their program right away and begin to develop a feel for the classroom. I'm assuming they also go over program requirements (e.g. attendance, etc.) during this time?

Susan

Sign In to comment