Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Addressing Student Fears

What activities are you currently including in your orientations that address student fears?

Classroom introductions of each and every student to feel more connected and alike in situatuions.

Having career field "stories" to share helps students feel more at ease and feel connected to the instructor as well as the field. Understanding that through any of life's challenges, "real people" can and DO succeed, and change their lives for the better.

At the school I work for we have a discussion during orientation. We openly talk about to each student about adversity that each student could encounter while attending school. Then we talk about ways the student can overcome those adversities. Proactive planning with students seems to really help our students succeed. It seems to help them to have a plan if something was to happen. We also have a survey that our school sends out on the students first day. To find out how our student first day of school went. Most importantly we try to have our students leave orientation feeling confident about choosing to go to school, and knowing that if they have question or concerns that our staff members will be more the willing to help them with anything they need.

We bring our students in at least two times before school starts for different activities such as meeting staff, other students, help available. Since we are a massage school we have them receive a massage to show them what they will learn.

Each staff member takes time to just chat with new starts and tell them what our "responsibility" is to them.

We always address the fear on different levels.

Bonnie,

This is a wonderful practice! The more times you can get them on campus prior to classes, the better. And meeting with faculty prior is extremely helpful.

Susan Backofen

Seth,

Excellent! Proactively approaching issues is helpful so they can plan. Additionally, it helps them know that they are not alone in addressing these issues.

Susan Backofen

I work as a Student Services and Career Service Advisor. During their first day of orientation, we discuss who they are, what they have done in the past, what made them decide to come to NTI and what they feel their obstacles may be. We assure them that they are the reason we are here and all of us - no matter what department - are happy to help them in any way. Student Services schedules meetings with them after their first day and after their first week to make sure that all is going well and that they are happy with their decision. In addition, we send out 1st day surveys and most have been very responsive.

We do this on another scale....we take students
pictures and the company that they are now working for and put it on a continuous stream in our lobby so people can see the successes of the students and the school.

I teach the first class that students are exposed to in my institution and I address test taking tips to help student relieve stress from test taking. I think that this is beneficial because a lot of students that come to my institution right out of high school have a tendency to rush and panic which leads to failure of tests and a mental block hindering the learning experience.

Suzanne,

I really like that you have several appointments with new students very early in their education to catch any issues. Do you also do something mid-session?

Susan Backofen

Samuel,

I agree...and adult students could use the practice as well. This is something that can make a very large difference!

Susan Backofen

Prior to the start of classes we have open days so that the student knows the institution and peers.
We include workshops, videos, conferences and activities like forums and a simulation of a day of class.

Veronica,

This sounds like a great program. So these are available to all prospective students or just applicants or ???? Can current students participate in the workshops?

Susan Backofen

In the same group there are prospective students and apliccants. There are some conferences with current students or graduates, teachers...
In this conferences they share their experience and try to remove their fears.

The students meet with all of the full time department faculty and we review what is expected from them and what they can expect from us during their education. We offer a student ran club as well to encourage new students to meet with some of the students who are further along in the program as a sort of metoring process.

On the first meeting with our admissions, we discuss why they choose this field and their goals. Once again, during their orientation we discuss how to success. Once they focus why they are here in the first place, their motivation takes over their fear.

JULIE,

It is very important to identify these fears and help them make plans to make them non-issues. Is this information that is passed along to retention personnel so they can help reinforce?

Susan Backofen

We let our students know its a TOUGH school, but receiving your degree/diploma will be worth it. They get more comfortable and believe in their self.

We have the whole staff introduce themselves before there first class. We get them all excited and then bring in there senior classes to give words of advice. They love it!!!

Sign In to comment