Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At my school, our Student Services Coordinator talks with all the new students regarding the non-school related issues i.e. no transportation, fear of starting again, she is able to help them overcome. This allows us to show the students we care about all the things that can impact their education.

During orientation we introduce all of the staff and talk about expectations. We make sure that all expectations for the time they spend at our school is very clear. We make sure students understand policy and procedure. I ensure students that I am here for them as their student services coordinator. We discuss all the different outlets for students to get assistance when needed. My department chairs also give motivational speeches for our new students. Next time I plan on including an ice-breaker activity for the students to get to know each other a little more before the first day of class.

I recently obtained another degree myself. Going back to school as an adult with a family has made me far more compassionate to the challenges and struggles of our students

Valerie,

I think the addition of some interaction with other students will be a great addition to what sounds like a strong orientation.

Susan Backofen

ANDREA,

Sometimes we forget how difficult it is to balance all those things. Congratulations to you and your increased compassion will be a great benefit.

Susan Backofen

In our orientation we give the students information regarding the program that they have enrolled in. The instructors give a brief introduction of their self and how the got to the point of being an instructor including the experience that they had in the field of choice. we end orientation stating that we will go over any items that they need clarified at any time and follow through with all new students at the end of the day the first two weeks.

To be honest, I see some weak areas in my school that need improvement. I think we lack connecting with students that come to our college within orientation. We talk about what we expect students to do but I think we could definitely improve on providing more resources for our students and helping them value the college more than just the cost of it.

Some activities that we could implement is creating a mentor program in which current students connect with new students to help them transition into the college world, follow-up with students on a more timely basis.

At my campus we just installed an online orientation course to get them into the rhythm of school. They take a test to see what kind of learner they are and this helps them communicate with the teacher about their way to best learn and take in information. We also have New Student Orientation where the chef instructors get to spend time with the students in a small group to get any questions answered or any concerns they may have.

Pauline

This sounds wonderful! I am so happy to hear you put the faculty up front in the process and include their experience in the field.

Susan Backofen

Vanessa,

Sounds like you have some great ideas.

Susan Backofen

Chanel,

How is the online orientation going for you? Do you find students really do the exercises or just click through them?

Susan Backofen

Our campus has current students present at orientation as well as program directors, staff, instructors, and Administration. We break down the new students in program groups so it is not too overwhelming. As Director of Student Services, I become their point person on the academic side. I work with their Admissions Rep during provisional and inform all new students at orientation of my role to give them the security and comfort that there is someone to go to if they have questions. Since I facilitate Registration - they have already met me.
I address the common fears (Math class) and include some ice breakers in the orientation to get them laughing and comfortable.

Properly outlining the curricullum from the first day to alleviate fears. Also I introduce them to the lab and all the shop equipment

Michele,

I always love to have current students participate. It gives the new students some 'real' insight.

Susan Backofen

I teach in a very accelerated program for a very rewarding career. I share my personal experiences going through school and explain to them that I am here to help with anything. I introduce myself and give clear, precise expectations. I also explain the program is very intense, requires time, and is very stressful. I explain to the students that cutting down hours with work will benefit their success, and explain the reality that sacrifices will have to be made with family, friends, and loved ones throughout the program for success. I keep a positive attitude and explain all of them are able to succeed everyday, especially thoughout the first week.

Currently as the Registrar/Director of Student Services, I have begin to include in orientation helpful handouts to the new students regarding successful studying and test taking tools, introduction to their Academic Advisor that they will have the opportunity to meet with once a week to help them track their educational progress, and meeting the team of Student Ambassadors that they will be matched with to help mentor them through their first term of class.

Fatina,

This sounds like a great program of support...student ambassadors, a weekly meeting with the academic advisor and all the handouts. Great job!

Susan Backofen

We have older students as as part of orientation, staff is present, we have ice breakers, and we address it so they know we know how they may be feeling. They need to know they are not alone.

As I indicated in another post, we actively integrate our students by doing 1 on1's, surveys and having a meet and greet with refreshments. We issue them personalized equipment (iPads with their) names etc). This all goes a long way in helping them understand that they are a big part of our future. We insists that all students are called by name on the first day. We also buddy them up with our student Ambassadors.

One of the activities that I like to incorporate during the first class session is to allow students to tell me what they expect from me as their instructor. I think this gives them a feeling that someone does care about their feelings and concerns. It is also a wonderful icebreaker.

Sign In to comment