Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the orientation we do different exercises where the students meet each other and build study groups. During that same orientation they find more out about our tutoring program as well.

I teach four college classes and each one is totally different. I start off my classes with an icebreaker to find out a little about everyone and this usually provides the class with some common interests. Some students just have so much fun to add that it sets off the first class with less anxiety. I always tell my students that I will be there for them and if they do the work required they usually will be successful. I teach math so it is a subject that over 90% of students dislike. I think that all students like to know that there fears are being heard and being addressed.

I think discussing past students success in the face of hardships (economical, learning ability, etc.) helps inspire students and give them hope.

I always make sure I meet each student individually prior to enrolling in the course. I place a phone call to all incoming students just prior to orientation to make sure the student has retained interest. I explain the ground rules and my expectations. Most importantly, I make sure that each student understands that my classroom is a safe zone and there is zero tolerance for disrespect to ones self or a fellow student.

Being upfront and clear about expectations, allowing current students to answer questions and maintaining an open door policy throughout administration.

Carla,

Excellent! I love using 'senior' students to tell the story that they can make it!

Susan Backofen

Barbara,

Good for you. Yes, I can image it is probably higher than 90% that are math phobic, so all you do to assist them and make them comfortable is fabulous.

Susan Backofen

Jess,

What a wonderful thing to do! I am sure the personal phone call is a big hit and makes a huge difference.

Susan Backofen

The new students entering are met by myself, Program Director, we also have student ambassadors that are availabe to meet and talk with the new students. I also invite every prospective student to come sit in a class to see how classes are ran. I also tell them up front what is expected of them as students. I want them all to succeed.

Brenda,

I love that you have student ambassadors and that prospective students can sit in on classes. I am sure that these things go a long way to helping new students acclimate.

Susan Backofen

We have a new class beginning each month and the Thursday before class begins, orientation is done. Every new student is required to attend this orientation. We revamped our orientation a few months ago. The old style simply went over rules and regulations and things of that nature. The new style focuses on graduation and what to expect along the way. Students are much more excited to see the diploma they will receive and hear the graduation march. We talk about the career options they will have and how we will help them along the way. This alleviates a lot of their fears.

I teach at technical school with a classroom consisting of a variety of ages and experience levels. During my opening lecture I explain to the students that I was just like them 14 yrs. ago and that the only difference between them and myself is the experience level that I have achieved. I also give examples of my own failures and challenges that I experienced while attending the very class that I now teach.

Julie,

This sounds like an excellent format...and changing it from a 'rules' to 'graduation and process to get there' is a very positive focus.

Susan Backofen

Stephen,

Telling your personal story is, I'm sure, very effective. Kudos!

Susan Backofen

So much of what we teach at our school is "hands on" and many students have never touched a mechanical object with a tool before. I always let them know that it's a learning process and making "mistakes" is not a problem - as long as they learn from it! But they should not be afraid of making errors. Better to make a silly mistake in the classroom and learn from it, than make a silly mistake in the real world.

We use a power point in our orientation that is specific to addressing the fears of new students. We discuss the students vision and the reasons they enrolled. We then ask and list on the board fears the students are having starting school. We discuss whether they are real or imagined. Then we discuss ways to overcome the fear. We do group exercises so the students get to interact with the other new students they will be in class with. We feel it is important they develop these friendships during this time so they will have a "friend" the first day of class. We also have current students come in and meet the students.

Our school includes a career development class in students first quarter to help with test taking skills, time management, and many of the issues mentioned.

The program directors attend orientation to help alleviate student fears and manage student expectations.

Richard,

So true! Often times we learn the most from our mistakes, but we are not prone to accept that.

Susan Backofen

Kathryn,

This sounds like a wonderful exercise. I love that you include small group interaction in discussing fears.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment