Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

come frome your heart & experiences

I really like some of the intervention approaches in this section. I feel that not every problem will require this amount of involvement. Some of the problems that they have could be issues that the instructor may have delt with personally and can help by talking about their own dealings when in a similer situation.

I agree with you, Jeff. I liked this breakdown too. It made me think of some aspects of retention that I hadn't thought about before.

I agree with you. I have used personal experiences in the past with my students and it helps them to see that they are not alone, there is always a solution.

Relating to the student is helpful. I am a graduate from the school I now teach for, and I know the struggles that my students go through.

Do you share your experiences as part of a lecture or is this more on a personal basis? Do you have any generational differences in perception and expectations?

When you offer your experiences with students that are relatable, it allows them to feel like you are a real person instead of just someone "doing a job". It shows you care and are willing to help.

I think that it is very important to come from your heart and use personal experiences when dealing with students so that they know that they are dealing with a real human being and that everyone faces obstacles. It has always been more inspiring to me when someone that has faced some of the same issues and problems can tell me about overcoming them.

I quite often share my experiences that are related to a lecture and find that students adapt much more quickly to information that they recognize relevance to in regards to what I have shared.

Most certainly there are varying perceptions and expectations based upon generational differences. My student have ranged in age from 17 to 60+ and I have had to learn to recognize both my own perceptions and expectations of them as well as their own perceptions and expectations of me and the class.

Wise words from an experienced instructor. Have you been able to share this insight with beginning faculty? Does you school encourage instructors to share their experience and best practices?

one thing i have noticed with my students is that most of them are working everyday and coming to school at night. i inform them that i did the same thing when i was going to school so i totally understand what there going thru.

It does help a student to feel that "you have been there" but you need to be careful not to get personal or or give out TMI. Remember thought that the student comes froma completely different social setting and lifestyle so their responces and perceptions will be different than yours.

"Give out TMI"?

When dealing with students, I feel that the most important thing you can do is to be an "active listener". The student has possibly come to you for ssome help, and the one thing that can be a dead-end to the student is the feeling that you don't care. If you and the student can connect emotionally, you will have a better chance to get the student to trust that they aren't just telling you their problems, but that you are actually "hearing them".

I do not know if I would say there is always a solution. I may say there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel because some student issues do not have solutions. They have to know that they are not alone.

Thoughtful posting. And what may seem like a solution to us may not be for the student.

Great point, Kevin. Do you have any examples of how this process works?

I agree that by giving our own experiences as students help the students gain different perspectives. I am also a student, teaching part time. I let the students know that I understand what they are going through, but I also give them advice on how I juggle school and work.

I agree that you have to be an active listener. One way to do this is to encourage the student to talk about the problems they are experiencing, how they feel, and what they are currently doing. I have found that empathizing with a student by sharing similar experiences allows them to feel more relaxed and can create a quicker connection (which is vital in an accelerated course.) Of course it is important to figure out when to listen and when to talk/share. Generally, I use a 20-80 rule. I talk 20% of the conversation and listen the other 80%. I have found that students will often think that they have an insurmountable challenge, but after they talk through it, it doesn’t seem so bad – if they can find the resources they need.
Phyllis

I do the same. I graduated from the school I work for and when I was a student, I worked two jobs. I do believe it helps tremendously to share this information with them. It helps them to hear that someone knows where they're coming from. More importantly, it's encouraging to them because they can see that you were able to do it successfully.

I mention in one of my first classes often that I have experiences challenges in my education. I have been on their end and put myself through school, dealt with family, and had health issues. If they can complete something, be on time, whatever it may be for a reason to come talk to me first. I'll be happy to address challenges and concerns on a individual basis but come to me first not after when there is little I can do to help.

Sign In to comment