Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pre-Planning Your Career Event | Origin: CS114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Developing Effective Job and Career Fairs for Students --> Pre-Planning Your Career Event

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Involve all departments, get therir buy in and use persuasion and affirmative statements 

I learned that it takes a village to promote your events, so it will be very important to involve all departements. 

Get people involved to promote the event. Involve students and local business partners. 

I learned the difference between job fair, career fair and career expo.

Actively involving all departments and individuals and effective communication will lead to more successful and positive fair events.

All departments in the school need to know in advance when a Job Fair is scheduled to assure that there will be no interferience with other department events. Advance planning will allow for rescheduling the Job Fair if needed. 

Paraphrasing can be a valuble tool when communicating with others.

I learned to involve all parties. 

I need to involve all departments in the discussion and planning of the event.

Here are a few key takeaways:

• Spend more time planning the event than the event itself. Preparation time is never wasted time! Make sure every department is involved, and listen to any concerns that come up. 
  • Make sure that the naming of the event fits with the objectives of the event. 
  • Virtual events are able to run smoothly through many of the platforms available. Make sure costs are shared among all parties participating. 
  • Analyze the effectiveness of the event by collecting data directly after the event (i.e. - how may students came, how many resumes were submitted, etc.)

Getting buy in from all departments in the organization is crucial for a successful career fair event. 

I read a previous post "...it takes a village" (Evelyn Zelada) that best described my takeaway from this section. Career events should be all (campus wide) inclusive.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities